Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

07 Ultra or 07 RXT

If you had 10 grand sitting in your pocket and had a choice of buying the 07 Ultra 250 or the 07 RXT which one would you buy?

Ultra Pros
    Great rough water bike
    Good Acceleration Ride Plate gives 69
    Sharp Looks

RXT Pros
    Dry ride/decent rough handling
    Easily modified to go over 70
    Closed loop cooling (salt)
    Sharp looks
    Price
    Fuel Consumption

Ultra Cons
    Gas in Oil problem
    Wet Ride
    Fuel Consumption
    Price

RXT Cons
    Washers blow up

I posted this on the Kawi side as well.

Help me decide..........
    Last edited by Antiguan FZR; 09-27-2007 at 01:05 PM.

I think your pros and cons sum it up.......it's a matter of taste......the only Kawasaki I've owned was a 91 JS550 and I plan on keeping it that way.....I'm just that way though I find a Brand of something that sells me on quality and stick to it....and no one can convince me otherwise.....but this isn't about me......never ridden an Ultra so I can't talk bad about it.......Do what you like

When looking at skis I was almost turned off by seadoo due to the washers.
    I also read that the RXT trailed in chop.
    Then I looked at yammi and jsut didn't like the look or the seats.
    Then kawi and read about the Ultra.

In the end it was a balance of
    Identifying whether or not the issues or concerns can be rectified by or the shop OR is the underlying problem still lingering.
    Do you want to ride 3+ hours or about 2 between fill ups. Then again is the higher octane gasoline for an RXT available.

My input and looking from the outside in; the shortcomings of Seadoo have a remedy whether it is washers or intake grate. Speed well as you know that has some costs associated with it.

Seadoo
    Kawi

+1
    My opinion having own an RXT and ridden and raced many U250's

As for reliability once you change the washers on the RXT I feel it to be more reliable.

I have 3 buddies with U250s on the lake and one of them never runs right and makes a terrible metallic noise. The 2nd one went boom this past weekend when we were racing full throttle in chop for about a mile. His U250 started making a terrible noise, went into limp mode and would on rev to about 2000 RPM, his weekend was over. The 3rd one has been in the shop 3 times in the last 2 months, each time for a different problem (he is selling it and buying an RXT-X). One of them being the gas in oil problem and another time for something being wrong with the supercharger. I'm not bashing the U250 but it seems it has had many more problems than the RXT had at launch. Also the only 3 on my lake have all had problems, 2 of them severe.

Now I find the U250 to be MUCH better in chop. Having ridden it and raced it. When racing my RXT is generally 2 lengths back of the Ultra in heavy chop, the U250 is just amazing for hook-up. In smooth water my RXT is either dead even or a boat infront.

I find the RXT to rail better. Seems to pull more G's under full throttle hairpin turns.

Acceleration I've found to be basically the same.

I'm sure Kawi will get the kinks worked out for 08 so it basically comes down to what conditions you ride in. If you ride in HEAVY chop most of the time get the Ultra, otherwise I prefer the RXT.

Another thing to note is the ultra having basically the same performance with 35 more HP. Take that for what its worth but it should tell you something...

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Go for the RXT. I wouldnt even bother with the Ultra. Kawis failed attempt at another Ultra150. And it doesnt even live up to that namesake. If your worried about the washers. jerry can fix that for ya.

As far as the Ultras 35 extra horses. It takes alot of power to move 1000lbs!

+1
    HUH? didn't you have an Ultra up til about 6 months ago and as I recall you sold it?

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    HUH? didn't you have an Ultra up til about 6 months ago and as I recall you sold it?
    Me???????? Ive had a 2000 Ultra for 6 years.............. I refuse to own a 250.

+1
    Yes I sold the last Ultra 250 I had for a number of reasons, my buddies are convinced that it is a superior machine over the RXT but I am not. The purpose for this thread is to get the general feedback from both sides.

Fuel Consumption, fuel in Oil problem and fit and finish are the obvious reasons I would not get another one. If the 08s are much improved then maybe another one next year.

+1
    Antiguan RXP;
    The obvious choice for you will be the 2008 RXT-X or the RXP-X.
    Let's face it; Seadoo has held the top of this market for years—only now are the other manuf's only starting to "catch up." Jerry rode these, remember he told us they hold hook up like crazy and the P-X accelerates like a stage III with a warranty. I wouldn't buy anything until you ride one of those beasts. Don't forget these new monsters are coming with metal washers.

You've been down Ultra250 avenue why go back... we race the Ultras every week, they cannot pull the RXT's it's neck and neck all the way across the lake and some of them are slower than the RXT's. I'm talking about when they are actually running... not a bash just tellin it like it is; we saw two of them on the beach last month with the seats off, owners were pissed too cause these were new machines. I feel sorry for them they are nice people too.

Have you considered the new Yamaha it's got 1800cc that has the potential for monster power with a super light hull—since you like the mods it could be worth a look.

Now if you want something different for more $$$$$, I hear something REALLY fast is coming out of Hydrospace—it's on the company website below, the U.S. distributon office is in Pompano Beach, Florida... but I have already given you the obvious choices above.
    Last edited by YoYamma; 09-29-2007 at 09:48 AM.

+1
    sho. Or how about the honda 15F?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information