+1

Offshore verse Lake/Inland riding

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    IMO you are gonig to have to put the R&D Pulley kit on the boat to get that "Wilderbeast" going 70 or a tad better. I know there are some on this Board who claim 70 with some Bolt on stuff (rides plates, wedges, etc) but those boats are, in essence, PWC Pogo Sticks in the ocean or anywhere there is any kind of significant chop. It's just a big heavy boat and you are going to need big HP to get that thing to 70 and still maintain the boats strength (awesome hookup). . . .
    I have to agree with John and his statement, if it is offshore riding or rough water. I have done 70 with what I would call bolt ons and have maintained over 68 on very low fuel through 1ft or less of chop. I can consitently GPS over 69.

With the riva ride plate and anything over 1 ft I strongly think a stock ultra will leave an Ultra with the plate. I have seen it with my own eyes, but it wasn't an ultra it was an LX. But, this is heading in the same direction as the waves. As soon as I turned and went parallel to the waves or was not travelling the same direction I could open the throttle back up and run very hard.

Offshore or very rough water the pulley is the best way to go IMO. Overall, for my style of riding I can live with the riva plate because it is not often I am in a condition where stock ride plate would be advantages.
    Last edited by spaulding; 09-27-2007 at 01:06 PM. Reason: I didnt want to clutter up the other thread

I'm not all that impressed with the Riva plate, sure I love the 2 mph I gained, but it basically ruined a rough water monster in anything over 1 foot chop, and for anything but grudge racing on glass to very small chop I find it annoying. I have no doubt a stock ultra would kill a stock Riva plated ultra. IMO the 2* wedge on the stock ski was better overall.

On the Hudson River where I ride, the waves only go 1 of 2 ways,,, north or south and can be as smooth as a pond or 4 footers. In the end I may just go back to the wedge without the Riva plate, it rides better, I can maintain a higher overall speed and can live with the 1.5 mph loss...
    Last edited by Chris288; 09-27-2007 at 01:26 PM.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris288 View Post
    I'm not all that impressed with the Riva plate, sure I love the 2 mph I gained, but it basically ruined a rough water monster in anything over 1 foot chop, and for anything but grudge racing on glass to very small chop I find it annoying. I have no doubt a stock ultra would kill a stock Riva plated ultra. IMO the 2* wedge on the stock ski was better overall.

On the Hudson River where I ride, the waves only go 1 of 2 ways,,, north or south and can be as smooth as a pond or 4 footers. In the end I may just go back to the wedge without the Riva plate, it rides better, I can maintain a higher overall speed and can live with the 1.5 mph loss...
    Or send your stock plate to Jims1300 and have him cut it for you

Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1
    send your stock plate to Jims1300 and have him cut it for you

Great points. I have yet to find an after market provider that focusing (FOCUSING) on what I/we do in the open, rough ocean. Most after market guys are focusing on the lake rider as the vast % of PWC riders are lake riders - makes good business sense. That said, the community of hard core offshore riders tends to do a good job of communicating with one another regarding mods that rruly differentiate themselves and do well in the ocean. We've learned to take all of the hype about mods with a grain of salt - we test and see what the products actually do in the ocean and then make our own decisions. One of the sole reasons PWCOFFSHORE.com was created was to address these issues.... we just couldn't find any group that focused exclusively on hard core offshore riding - WHICH IS UNIQUE, VERY UNIQUE. Offshore riding is about straight lines at top speed, hookup, fuel consumption and absolute maximization of tops speed (and more hookup), at WOT for very long durations. A very hard combination to achive effectively. Not to mention the reliability factor.... can't be breaking down when you're WOT riding 25 miles offshore. Keep the information coming on the offshore mods guys.... many are listening.
    Last edited by Socaloffshore; 09-27-2007 at 11:34 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Socaloffshore View Post
    Great points. I have yet to find an after market provider that focusing (FOCUSING) on what I/we do in the open, rough ocean. Most after market guys are focusing on the lake rider as the vast % of PWC riders are lake riders - makes good business sense. That said, the community of hard core offshore riders tends to do a good job of communicating with one another regarding mods that rruly differentiate themselves and do well in the ocean. We've learned to take all of the hype about mods with a grain of salt - we test and see what the products actually do in the ocean and then make our own decisions. One of the sole reasons PWCOFFSHORE.com was created was to address these issues.... we just couldn't find any group that focused exclusively on hard core offshore riding - WHICH IS UNIQUE, VERY UNIQUE. Offshore riding is about straight lines at top speed, hookup, fuel consumption and absolute maximization of tops speed (and more hookup), at WOT for very long durations. A very hard combination to achive effectively. Not to mention the reliability factor.... can't be breaking down when you're WOT riding 25 miles offshore. Keep the information coming on the offshore mods guys.... many are listening.
    I have been checking out your website since March when I bought my ski. Good info and pics. I have to say that you guys have gonads as big as the gas tank on the 250x..... WOT from the coast to Catalina island
    That takes some guts and skill. I also like seeing what parts the offshore guys run because if it'll hold up under the pounding you guys give it, it should be pretty much bullit proof for the rest of us. I can see you offshore guys laughing when we post some new kinda fresh air mod
    Keep up the good work on your web page. Even though I'm just a weekend inland rider, I enjoy reading about you offshore guys.
    Last edited by Beagleman62; 09-28-2007 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Socaloffshore View Post

Congratulation for the good work on your web site.
    Here our new web site www.jetoffshore.net.
    In construction, more information coming soon.

Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1
    Looking forward to any new info you have, most of it was posted about a week to a month after the skis came out, not much since.

send your riva plate to jim my gpr r&d plate give me 4 mph.

Thread Information