"Blueprint" Pump Nozzle

I noticed that the bottom bolt holding the steering nozzle on my c180 was sticking up into the jet stream by a little less than a quarter inch (6.35 mm) on the leading side. The trailing edge edge was only sticking up about an eighth of an inch.

I thought that it may be significantly interrupting flow so I decided to mark it, and file a taper to match the venturi curve in the end of the bolt.

Also the top bolt of the nozzle was too short and left a hole as well as the anode mount on the right side made a hole, disrupting flow especially when turning left from the anode hole. I filled these holes with JB weldand sanded smooth.

Haven't had a chance to test yet but since the adjustable nozzle rings that come in 1mm increments make as much difference as they do I figure it may be worth a bit.

Let you guys know the results, if any, after the weekend.

If shes got boobs or a throttle, I'm on it! badvinny's Avatar
    Siliconing in your ride plate is heard to be good for 1mph also.

The ride plate is already siliconed in there to a certain degree. Do you mean fill up everything like the gap between the ride plate and the pump support insert and the trailing edge where there is none as mine is only siliconed to about half way back?
    If you are talking about the ride plate holes mine are already filled with JB weld and sanded smooth to match the surface of the ride plate.

If shes got boobs or a throttle, I'm on it! badvinny's Avatar
    Yes, fill all gaps smooth, same idea as grinding your bolts flush!

Had her out to test this weekend. If my butt dyno is correct I seem to have gained slightly in the holeshot.
    Biggest difference seems to have come from filling the anode hole on the side of the steering nozzle. I loose about 100 rpm less in hard left turns.
    Before this hole would have lined up perfectly with the jet stream when the steering was turned to the left.
    This week I am going to borrow my father in laws ridge reamer and bottle hone and stat opening up the jet nozzle by 1mm increments until I start to loose top speed. Although I hope to just keep gaining speed by matching the venturi size to the 14/19 solas. Still have intake grade removed.

FYI, as i installed my Solas 14/19R i grinded off the fins in the pump shoe, did grind off also that lower bolt as you did to make it flush inside nozzle, and also modded a bit the venturi vanes, by filing the vane fins so that they do become sharp edged on the propeller side, also buffed & polished the inner housing vanes surface...butt dyno like it a lot...way to go for a good free mod....!

So Jeepster, now that you have installed the 14/19r on an otherwise stock C180, with the exception of removing the restrictive stock intake, what is your top speed and RPM's like?

Didn't had any GPS with me, and only made about 30 minutes of riding it
    mostly accelerations from 0, and top speed pass on a mirror lake, was to test ride everything prior to flush and winterize my boat...speedo was reading around 53 mph, (shown 45 mph before) rpm were very steady at 8000-8100 RPM, but i think it should be reasonnable to think that the boat is probably riding around 50 mph on a GPS, it's definitely faster than a stock propeller on top end, in other word...the Solas SRX-CD-14/19R....is a very good investment to start with...made the stock propeller look (un-appropriate).

Better hole shot, don't know if it's also my pump vane fins sharpening and polishing that helped so much, but i'd definitely buy another Solas just for a spare unit...!!! Acceleration is stronger, and Mid to top end is very good...faster there again, i'd call that an overall improvement, no cavitation at all, just hard pulling thrust.

Guess what...? Boost gauge is installed and shown 6 PSI of stock boost at 8000 RPM, next coming spring it will be a GreenHulk impeller, wish i can raise the boost at 9-10 PSI...water is colder here now....and maybe the intercooler liked it a lot...we'll see next summer, boat is already winterized & stored now.

Glad to hear your results were consistent with mine. I fixed my cavitation issues, it was due to small dings in the leading edges of the stator vanes from rocks. I ended up rounding mine off and filling the dings with JB weld to bring it back to stock shape.
    It was my understanding from reading this http://www.parkeryamaha.com/index.as...eAction=Custom specifically the part about water prefering a round edge as opposed to a sharp edge to reduce cavitation. So would have expected sharpening the vanes would have caused cavitation.

I am kinda don't undertsand what vanes you sharpened. Is it the leading edge of the pump vanes right after the impeller or the leading edge of the venturi vanes or trailing edge of either? You wouldn't happen to have any pics?

At any rate we are both going to need at least a supercharger impeller upgrade to maintain the RPM's when the weather gets hot again next year. More than likely an external intercooler as well.
    Where did you get the boost guage. I would like to install one simply for the cool factor.

It's the leading edges of the stator vanes that have been sharpened, why...? Because they were all
    'fucked up' and it looked easier to file them sharp than to put some filler there, so i filed them until they were sharp like a knife. As far as round versus sharp edges....i'm sure they were referring to a rounded corner compared to a square corner edge...me i'm talking about a sharpened fin...try slicing through water with a knife and tell me if it makes any turbulence....the answer is NO. So no problem with the cavitation.

Yeah i got one 2-1/16 inch. boost gage, it is installed in the center dash below the fuel and multi function gauges, where there was a round gauge plug. I drille the plastic intake manifold, threaded it, and screwed in a NPT 'barb' fitting, i hooked the hose on it, and routed it into the right side of the boat to the gauge in the dash, a nice looking job, stock boost looks to be around 6 PSI at WOT.

BTW....i now have some LED's backlighting to my gauges, and you can select the color between vivid blue or bright red with a 2 way toggle switch, i know it's just a gadget, but the lighting effect is very nice...

Last edited by Jeepster; 10-12-2007 at 04:33 PM.

Thread Information