Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Riva ride plate setup & results

I've spent the last week setting up and testing my Riva ride plate. Please note, these are my opinions based on my setup and testing - others may/will have completely different results. My goal with the Ultra has been finding speed improvements without losing any of the good qualities of the Ultra (smooth ride and rough water handling).

When setting up a ride plate, proper fit is important. If it's off center, straight line tracking will be effected, If it hangs down below the shoe, speed will be scrubbed off. It took me about two hours of fitting to get everything lined up the way I wanted it. The gap that I used was 3.30mm at the ends. I fitted the plate to be about 1mm above the shoe. One picture shows the grinding that I did to achieve this fit.

Now for the results: although I picked up a bit of top speed (less than 1.5mph) the ski lost ride quality in anything other than light chop (less than 1ft.). I tested both with the wedge and without. I test on a long creek that has some really tight curves and long straight aways. The bad part with the Riva plate, - I could not take the tight curves @ full throttle. It felt like massive cavitation - almost as though the rear was pushing through the turn. With the stock plate, full throttle has been no problem.

If I was only concerned about top speed, the Riva plate would stay. Since I don't want to lose any handling, I pulled the Riva plate tonight and put the stock one back on with the wedge. Guess I'll wait and try the R&D plate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rrpleft.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	40044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rrpright.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	40045   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rrplevel.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	40046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rrpmod.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	40047  

+1
    I have noticed some change in turn handling, but I have not yet tried a WOT turn. I notice a slight wobble, but nothing I cannot deal with.

I agree with the rough water, but with the wedge on stock plate I unhooked in the same conditions as I do with the riva ride plate. Cross waves, against the waves or any mixture of the two I could run hard, anything like Lake George the last time we were on it and it gets bad.

I have one more to buy for the LX and I will wait for R&D before I purchase another one.

Quote Originally Posted by JWilson View Post
    I have one more to buy for the LX and I will wait for R&D before I purchase another one.
    Since the boss wasn't happy with the Riva plate (and she will not let me forget it's her ski), I can make you a great deal on a slightly used one. It may need slight shimming on the front depending on the ski.

Let me know...

+1
    Gator man,
    You know I gotta ask......
    How fast with the Riva plate?
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    Gator man,
    You know I gotta ask......
    How fast with the Riva plate?
    Jimmy
    Disappointed to say that I stayed under 71 Stayed mostly around 70.2 - .3,

I've been talking with JW about some RPM loss. It seems that boost is down so I'm dumping the BOV for the block off. If I get time tomorrow, I'm pulling the intercooler and flushing it out good. We've also had a run of rainy weather lately - I'm hoping things dry up and cool down some.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorcountry View Post
    Disappointed to say that I stayed under 71 Stayed mostly around 70.2 - .3,

I've been talking with JW about some RPM loss. It seems that boost is down so I'm dumping the BOV for the block off. If I get time tomorrow, I'm pulling the intercooler and flushing it out good. We've also had a run of rainy weather lately - I'm hoping things dry up and cool down some.
    Damn
    When you ran in the high 69's without the plate, I just knew you would
    hit 71. I think mine may have it in her when I run this weekend. I finally sealed my plate so we'll see. When I blocked my bov, I didn't notice any gain but I did see consistantly higher rpm's. (7950-8050)

Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    Damn
    When you ran in the high 69's without the plate, I just knew you would
    hit 71. I think mine may have it in her when I run this weekend. I finally sealed my plate so we'll see. When I blocked my bov, I didn't notice any gain but I did see consistantly higher rpm's. (7950-8050)
    Yep - I was just waiting to see 71 pop up on the GPS. Good luck - I really want to see one of us break 71

I'll be waiting with a toast of a cold brew for this weekends fastest

Just a H-20 HO....Need I say More! Mykull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorcountry View Post
    Yep - I was just waiting to see 71 pop up on the GPS. Good luck - I really want to see one of us break 71

I'll be waiting with a toast of a cold brew for this weekends fastest
    Start toasting, been there, done that already...I`m sure there are more out there. Beagleman i was runnin 71s during the Lake Anna race weekend when i saw you down there. 84hrs and no problems, and i ride it like i stole it all the time! Checkout the 2 Youtube links at the bottom of my sig.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mykull View Post
    Start toasting, been there, done that already...I`m sure there are more out there. Beagleman i was runnin 71s during the Lake Anna race weekend when i saw you down there. 84hrs and no problems, and i ride it like i stole it all the time! Checkout the 2 Youtube links at the bottom of my sig.
    Mike,
    I need to look under your seat and see where that extra mile an hour is coming from.

Beagleman62,
    Mike is in 72+ all day seating in every direction with full tank of gas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information