race fuel.....good or bad

race fuel......111 octane. good or no good. my boss has some hot rods and a lot of race fuel. do you think it would be good to run in ski?..........don't want to wast good fuel........or mess up ski

Morgan City, LA
    With stock compression ratio and less than 20 pounds of boost bad!!!!

93 Octane pump gas is all you need/want.

Banned User
    Crest Hill, IL
    yea, waste of time unless you got stupid boost.....BUT THE SMELL!

My House

Scullville, N.J
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    yea, waste of time unless you got stupid boost.....BUT THE SMELL!
    love the smell

cool thanks man......need more

Minden, Nevada, United States
    race gas has a slower burn rate.If you put straight race gas in a stock GPR,you would see a slight rpm drop from normal,but the smell is great.

Belle Chasse, La.
    OMG! There is a tear in my eye..........I have been too long absent from the racetrack (heat/humidity sucks) Pulling into Hub City Drags and smelling that sweet candy-like smell (what it is to me) gets me intoxicated as I am putting the colored dot on the windshield and filling out the tech card. And to make matters worse people keep calling me FROM the track (I think to torment me!). IF u had a way to modify the timing in your ski and monitor detonation, u would see SOME gain, I am known to use VP 5% w/ 93 oct. to stave off detonation when spraying the vettes. Any performance gain would be 90% attributed to the elimination of detonation.....

Website may not be suitable for small children WOT's Avatar
    The real answer is: it depends. You will definitely make more power with race fuel over pump gas and not neccesarily due to higher octane, but it really depends on the fuel you choose. If you choose a higher octane fuel with a slower burn rate, typically you will loose power. However, with no other changes, if you choose a race fuel with a higher energy value and all other parameters the same as the pump gas, the race gas will make more power. Here is some info for your reading pleasure:

There are four basic qualities of fuels. As in everything, there are trade-offs. You can't make a fuel that has the best of everything, but you can produce one that will give your engine the most power. The key to getting the best gasoline is not necessarily buying the fuel with the highest octane, but getting one that is best suited for your engine.

1. OCTANE: This does nothing more than rate a fuel's ability to resist detonation and/or preignition. Octane is rated in Research Octane Numbers, (RON); Motor Octane Numbers, (MON); and Pump Octane Numbers (R+M/2). Pump Octane Numbers are what you see on the yellow decal at gas stations, representing the average of the fuel's MON and RON. Typically, the MON test method more accurately simulates racing conditions. The conditions under which fuels are tested using the RON method are not as demanding, thus the number is normally higher than the MON rating. Be aware, however, the ability of fuel to resist detonation is a function of more than just octane.

2. BURNING SPEED: This is the speed at which fuel releases its energy. At high RPMs, there is very little time (real time - not crank rotation) for fuel to release its energy. Peak cylinder pressure should occur around 20° ATDC. If the fuel is still burning after this, it is not contributing to peak cylinder pressure.

3. ENERGY VALUE: An expression of the potential energy in the fuel. The energy value is measured in BTUs per pound, not per gallon. The difference is important. The air/fuel ratio is expressed in weight, not volume. Generally speaking, you want fuel that measures high BTUs per pound and thus has a higher energy value. This higher energy value will have a positive impact on horsepower at any compression ratio or engine speed.

4. COOLING EFFECT: The cooling effect on fuel is related to the heat of vaporization. The higher a fuel's heat of vaporization, the better its ability to cool the intake mixture. A better cooling effect can generate some horsepower gains in 4-stroke engines, and even bigger gains in 2-stroke engines.

Thread Information