Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Safety First!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys,im really concerned about safety issues we have seen on these boats.Broken grates,pump shoes ripping out,people running modded ski's w/OEM grates,steering nozzles blowing apart,people not using life jackets that are high speed rated etc....Its just a matter of time before someone gets hurt real bad.Just talked to Tim Judge and he told me about his crash.Tim is so lucky he only suffered the injuries he had.Everyone,that includes me,is after that extra mph and it seems that is all that matters.I feel we all need to take a deep breath and stand back and take a good look at what is going on.These speeds we are seeing now are far beyond what the boat was designed for.Its that time of year that ends the season for most of us and i think it would be a good idea to put up a section dedicated to "pwc safety " and try to get everyone involved in it..This is the best forum on the net by miles and is growing like crazy,why not have the BEST and SAFEST forum on the net.
    Jerry has a great start with the new intake grate.

+1
    Pre-ride inspections are key IMO.

Everyone should take a minute or 5 and do a quick check under the boat and under the seat to make sure everything is attached where is should be and nothing is cracked, binding, or broken... especially those intake grates. Make sure the controls are working properly (steering, trim, and throttle) and be sure the fire extinguisher is charged up and accessible. Keep a nose open for fuel leaks and look for water and oil residue in the hull. Hell even a loose sponson can throw you off the boat at speed... and it only takes 1 spill to be seriously hurt.

+1

+1

Proper eye wear

Just a reminder to wear some sort of eye protection while riding. You dont want to lose an eye.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...safety+glasses

+1
    I bought a Triton Elite 2 place trailer last year.Made one trip to the lake,when i got home i decided to check the lug nuts on the trailer.They were all under torqued! I got 1 full turn out of 2 of them. I then decided to check all the bolts on the trailer and found a few that needed to be tightened.

+1
    NTSB PWC Safety Report.
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    K38 Water Safety
    http://www.shawnalladio.com/

+1
    here is WFO's intake grate.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0030.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	40126   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0032.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	40127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0034.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	40128  
    Last edited by WATER WOODY; 09-28-2007 at 09:56 PM.

+1

PWC Safety

Heya BD, thanks for the link...

For years we have been pushign for PWC owners/rescuers to use a bow loop webbing strap with a water knot, that is used for towing/holding a PWC. It helps lessen potential breaks to forearm/finger when trying to tie into a downed PWC in tight quarters, as in water rescue we try not to go into the water to tether lines due to safety risks/etc...timeframes...however, even in racing it is required as a mandatory piece of safety check item for us who work the races and have to 'quick tow' off the course.

You would be surprised how ignorant people are of this...I have seen shoe laces used, telephone wire, zip ties....as if any of those could stand a load against the weight of the PWC under tow, shockloading, and well you get the picture.

The tow bow loop strap ideally needs to be above the bond line of the craft (moulding) so our forearm on the track doesn't come into play, and yes that will kick around on the bow as you move across the water...but I have broken many hand bones from doing this over the years, its painful. We only have 'seconds and feet' on the race course or in a true rescue so these simple measures help us to be more efficient.

So many bow loops pull out under a stress load, remember that trailing jet thrust for our tow vessel is being displaced on a short haul tow line against the downed PWC hull, so there is significant drag/thrust...

I like to use 2" milspect tubular webbing, the webbing that has the black thread down the center, its soft, easy to grab and has good tensil strength...that way our tow carabineer will easily clip into that loop, rather than the boat stock boy eye hole...or cleat...anyhow..at many races the bow loops that are used are no longer than 4" and still are far too small for a safe and efficent 'clip in'...ask me how I know?

I get discouraged having to circle back on the track to reaffix a tow line that places other races on the track at risk, myself and the downed athlete. Sometimes the breaks occur in serious sections of the track, increasing our likelihood of risk of injury...

LOL

+1
    Watcon (Randy)

If you're a watercraft racer and you don't have a tow loop, this is for you. All IJSBA racers are required to have a tow loop in the bow of their watercraft for safety reasons. I'm sure the fine and /or penalty for non-compliance will be more than $21.95.

http://watcon.com/Catalog_Pages/Towloop.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information