Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: is this right??

is this right??

well the season is over here in ohio and its the first time for me to winterize my skis. last year i paid 100 bucks a ski to have it done so i thought i would try it myself. this is what i have heard all that you have to do.

1.) hook up a water house, put one end in a bucket with antifreeze water mix, fire it up till the antifreeze shoots out the back.

2.) pull spark plugs and fog the cylinders (i have heard you can use WD-40 for this?) then reinstall spark plugs

3.) remove battery, and charge it on a slow charge and keep it somewhere, where its warm

4.) put sta-bil or something similar in the gas tank (do they make some thing for the oil as well?)

thats pretty much all i have heard that you have to do. is this correct is there more to it, or should i have a proffesional do it again?

thanks guys
    travis

+1
    What ski?

doin it for both, 99 slx 1050 and a 2001 seadoo rxdi 951

+1
    I would be putting 1/2 cup of 2 stroke oil down the intake and turn the ski over with the spark plugs out as well .
    I think You can never have too much when you are putting it away .When you use it next it will smoke for a while but all will be good .
    Fill the fuel tank and oil tank up .
    Tilt the ski up in the front and wait for it to warm up again
    Cheers
    Bernie

The polaris isn.t going to draw water out of a bucket!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mudd View Post
    ...i thought i would try it myself. this is what i have heard all that you have to do.

1.) hook up a water house, put one end in a bucket with antifreeze water mix, fire it up till the antifreeze shoots out the back.

2.) pull spark plugs and fog the cylinders (i have heard you can use WD-40 for this?) then reinstall spark plugs

3.) remove battery, and charge it on a slow charge and keep it somewhere, where its warm

4.) put sta-bil or something similar in the gas tank (do they make some thing for the oil as well?)

thats pretty much all i have heard that you have to do. is this correct is there more to it, or should i have a proffesional do it again?

thanks guys
    travis
    First, the antifreeze mix needs to flow down into the engine, and there is no water pump on the engine. Position the bucket up high as a siphon source, or use a funnel to poor it in while the motor is running. Be sure to stop the flow into the running motor before shutting down the motor, to keep it from backing up the exhaust pipes right into the engine.

If you are oil fogging the engine at the same time, it would be good to have help, so you can fog the engine just after you stop flowing the antifreeze in.

You really should buy real engine fogging oil. It isn't that expensive, and you don't want to risk corrosion inside your motor - way more costly than the proper oil. WD-40 would not be a good choice, as it contains a lot of solvent, and the WD-40 oil is formulated much differently from fogging oil.

Second, do not use automotive Ethylene glycol anti-freeze. It is toxic to the lake/river/street drain, which is where the stuff will be going next spring.

Instead, use the Propylene glycol type sold for household drain pipes, mobile homes, RVs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze

Gas tank stabilizer - good to use. Many folks also recommend filling the gas tank, to minimize the chance of water condensation from the air pocket above the fuel.

You need to run the motor long enough to flow the gas stabilizer all the way through the carbs. Might want to take it for one last ride after adding the stabilizer, before winterizing the motor. You really shouldn't run the motor with the ski out of the water for more than a half minute or so, as the bearings in the jet pump don't have any cooling water flow.

Most skis should be stored with the nose tilted up, maybe 20 degrees or more, to ensure the maximum water drainage.

Beyond that, now would be a good time to really look the machine over. Look for anything that is loose, looks wrong, or might need attention. Bolts, nuts, clamps, screws, cracks, hoses, wires, dirt, etc.

If something needs attention, you will have more time to get it done over the winter, rather than discovering next season that you have an issue, and you are not riding until it gets fixed.

+1
    Niiiice.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Niiiice.
    Just trying to pay it forward.
    Learned a lot from this place, and I am still learning...

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mudd View Post
    well the season is over here in ohio and its the first time for me to winterize my skis. last year i paid 100 bucks a ski to have it done so i thought i would try it myself. this is what i have heard all that you have to do.

4.) put sta-bil or something similar in the gas tank (do they make some thing for the oil as well?) Do this first, you want to have the treated fuel in your carbs over the winter. Full gas tank, less room for air to condensate.

1.) hook up a water house, put one end in a bucket with antifreeze water mix, fire it up till the antifreeze shoots out the back. Totally unnecessary on the Polaris anyway.

2.) pull spark plugs and fog the cylinders (i have heard you can use WD-40 for this?) then reinstall spark plugs. You start the engine and spray fogging oil in the carbs till it stall out the engine. Then remove plugs put in some 2 cycle oil. With plugs back in and wire off crank it over a couple of times to spread the oil all over the cylinders

3.) remove battery, and charge it on a slow charge and keep it somewhere, where its warm also charge it at the have way to spring time 2 amps

5). Spray the engine compartment with wd-40 light coat. Lube all cables, and jet pump steering / trim with wd also.

thanks guys
    travis
    save your money

thanks for all the info guys, i didnt think there was a lot to it but i wasnt exactly sure of what to do, now i can save myself the 200 bucks, and buy a couple of cases of amsoil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information