Newbie has a starter problem

Just bought an 02 GTX 4 tec. Went out this AM plugged in the harness, got the 2 beeps, hit the starter button and.......nothing! Well almost nothing, I can hear the electric fuel pump running up front when I hit the button but nothing else. No "click" from the starter solenoid and no sound from the starter motor. Previous owner mentioned he had the starter motor replaced and a new battery installed at the Seadoo dealer. Now I know why!
    So I unplug the harness and break out my new shop manual CD and see the wiring diagram. Looks pretty conventional, kind of like the way Ford does it with the solenoid separate from the starter motor. Go get my test light and connect it between the starter motor lead and engine ground, plug in the harness, hit the button and the damn thing fires right up! I can't get it to NOT start now so I can trace down the problem. I've tried it a dozen times and it fires right up every time.
    Going by what happened when it would not start (fuel pump would run but nothing else) my best guess is the problem is in the solenoid, the wiring between the solenoid and ECU, or the ECU itself. No trouble codes are showing and I'm getting the 2 beeps so hopefully it's not the ECU.
    Question1 : When the solenoid is working properly should I be able to hear it click when I press the starter button?
    The only way for me to find this out on my own is to disconnect the wire from the starter motor and since I can't even see the starter motor (I can feel the lug and nut where the wire connects) I would rather not mess with it unless I have to. If I should be able to hear it click, at least I can isolate the problem to the solenoid itself or to the low current wiring going to the solenoid relay winding.
    Question2: Anybody run into an intermittent no start problem like this?
    Thanks, Lee
    PS- Great website! I'll be reading for months.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    Just bought an 02 GTX 4 tec. Went out this AM plugged in the harness, got the 2 beeps, hit the starter button and.......nothing! Well almost nothing, I can hear the electric fuel pump running up front when I hit the button but nothing else. No "click" from the starter solenoid and no sound from the starter motor. Previous owner mentioned he had the starter motor replaced and a new battery installed at the Seadoo dealer. Now I know why!
    So I unplug the harness and break out my new shop manual CD and see the wiring diagram. Looks pretty conventional, kind of like the way Ford does it with the solenoid separate from the starter motor. Go get my test light and connect it between the starter motor lead and engine ground, plug in the harness, hit the button and the damn thing fires right up! I can't get it to NOT start now so I can trace down the problem. I've tried it a dozen times and it fires right up every time.
    Going by what happened when it would not start (fuel pump would run but nothing else) my best guess is the problem is in the solenoid, the wiring between the solenoid and ECU, or the ECU itself. No trouble codes are showing and I'm getting the 2 beeps so hopefully it's not the ECU.
    Question1 : When the solenoid is working properly should I be able to hear it click when I press the starter button?
    The only way for me to find this out on my own is to disconnect the wire from the starter motor and since I can't even see the starter motor (I can feel the lug and nut where the wire connects) I would rather not mess with it unless I have to. If I should be able to hear it click, at least I can isolate the problem to the solenoid itself or to the low current wiring going to the solenoid relay winding.
    Question2: Anybody run into an intermittent no start problem like this?
    Thanks, Lee
    PS- Great website! I'll be reading for months.
    try taking the starter wire off the solenoid side instead (if you want to see if it clicks) i had a none starter one time, even thou the solenoid clicked it did'nt send power to the starter, regards bill. PS welcome to the forum LEE
    Last edited by jetskibill9999; 09-29-2007 at 03:12 PM. Reason: to welcome

Hi Bill,
    Here's an update. I got it to not start again. I connected the test light between the starter motor and ground and got no light when the starter button was pressed. So it's isolated to the solenoid or wiring to the solenoid. I pulled the 4 wire connector off the solenoid. Of course that killed everything since power to the MPEM goes through that connector. Put the connector back on, hit the button and it fired right up again. For all I know it could be a bad connection in the connector as the two wires going to the solenoid relay go through that connector. It could also be a bad connection at the MPEM or the EMS ECU as that is where the 2 wires controlling the relay go to. I'm betting it's the solenoid though and me bumping it or whatever caused it to start working again. It's part number 278001767 according to my parts list. If anybody has one for sale cheap let me know! Thanks, Lee

+1
    if i remember the rxp i put the new solenoid on only had 3 wires, big red live in, big red out to starter, and 1 thin activator wire, + 1 earth
    Last edited by jetskibill9999; 09-29-2007 at 04:20 PM.

This is an odd ball starter relay. It has the big red B+ and starter wires MOLDED into the relay housing (no connectors) and a 4 wire connector containing the 2 wires for the relay plus a wire from the voltage regulator to batt (30A fuse in the relay housing), plus a wire from batt to the MPEM with another 30A fuse in the relay housing. 2002 might be the only year they did this as I see a smaller conventional looking solenoid when I look at 2003 and up models. Just my luck!

+1
    yes the one i replaced was on a 04 rxp, if we could'nt of got one fast, i was going to put one off the old leyland mini's (an automotive one) till we could get one.

Thread Information