Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tap and Dye ?

Tap and Dye ?

I have my wife's 800 completely taken apart. While apart, I want to clean all male and female threads before putting it back together. I have a metric tap and dye set with several pitches, but some will fit and some will not. i.e. case bolts/threads. I ran into the same problem last time I was working on the 1300.

Are there some threads and pitches that are specific to yamaha?? If so, where can I get them? Using a wire brush gets old and doesn't clean females.

+1

wire brush female

My female would get very upset if I used a wire brush on her.

grab the coinciding bolt and a pitch gage! I had a pretty complete tap kit also but the Yamaha had some threads that weren't in my set so I ran down to ACE hardware and bought the proper sizes no biggie! case bolts were 10mm 1.25 I believe? not anything proprietary to Yami
    Last edited by ZMANN; 09-30-2007 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    grab the coinciding bolt and a pitch gage! I had a pretty complete tap kit also but the Yamaha had some threads that weren't in my set so I ran down to ACE hardware and bought the proper sizes no biggie! case bolts were 10mm 1.25 I believe? not anything proprietary to Yami
    7 of the case bolts are M6 at 1.0 pitch. The M8's seem to be the closest fit for the 13 or so bolts left but I've tried a 1.0 and a 1.25 pitch and neither seems correct. This is for the 800cc. The 1300cc may well be 10mm. but a ran into the same problem with the 1300cc for head/cylinder bolts. I made a trip to the local hardware store at that time and the gauge showed 1.25 but it just did not feel right on a bolt. I went with it anyway and ended up wallowing out the cylinder threads and bolt threads.

I guess I'll run down there again and give it another shot.

well if you have the bolt ? the gage won't lie but to double check grab the same size nut while at the HW store to verify? good luck! Z

standard metric therads found in any good metric tap and die set. the only one that is "fancy is the for the prop.

+1
    I always test the tap with a nut before chasing threads in cylinders or cases.

Instead of a tap, get a bolt of the correct thread size and grind down 4 grooves on it with a dremel tool, perpendicular to the threads, equally spaced apart. Blow the grooves out (and the bolt hole too) with compressed air after you've ran the bolt thru it. Works great for me.

I always feel like I'm removing too much material or weaking the threads with a tap.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by superd View Post
    Instead of a tap, get a bolt of the correct thread size and grind down 4 grooves on it with a dremel tool, perpendicular to the threads, equally spaced apart. Blow the grooves out (and the bolt hole too) with compressed air after you've ran the bolt thru it. Works great for me.

I always feel like I'm removing too much material or weaking the threads with a tap.
    Totally agree with superd ... personally I will not use a tap and die set to clean female threads in aluminum ... you can very easily remove aluminum and eventually the bolt can get sloppy. I have done the same basic thing, but just got a good bolt, and cut one good groove in it, and made sure it was good by running a nut up and down it. It sometimes takes a couple bolts before I get one the way I like it, but if you do 1, 2, or 4 grooves, it works great to clean crap out of the threads, without actually removing metal like a tap will.

+1
    They don't use Helicoils on these engines?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information