Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    33

    Question 1997 Polaris SLT 7890 Multifunction Display

    I have several questions, first, today I took the SLT 780 Wave Runner out and after a while I noticed a Red Light appear in the Center on the Multi Function Display. The Wave Runner ran perfect and no other lights came on, and the light didnot disappear until I discontected the battery. Next question is that I have used Yamalube 2-W Two stroke engine oil, will that be ok. It appears that the Multi Function Display is not showing RPM or Speed and the clock is not set right. Pressing the buttones on each side of tlhe Display does not change anything, need some help and answeers.


  2. #2
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,570
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by boat582 View Post
    I have several questions, first, today I took the SLT 780 Wave Runner out and after a while I noticed a Red Light appear in the Center on the Multi Function Display. The Wave Runner ran perfect and no other lights came on, and the light didnot disappear until I discontected the battery. Next question is that I have used Yamalube 2-W Two stroke engine oil, will that be ok. It appears that the Multi Function Display is not showing RPM or Speed and the clock is not set right. Pressing the buttones on each side of tlhe Display does not change anything, need some help and answeers.
    Sometimes the MFD needs to be reset.
    Disconnect the battery (positive or negative), and wait for a good minute or three, then reconnect the battery.

    When re-connecting the battery, make it a clean one-shot connection, no bouncing the contact on and off before getting it on. The MFD should wake up and behave.

    If it doesn't try the disconnect thing again, and leave it off for longer. If that doesn't fix it, there might be a problem with the wiring (broken wire, bad connection somewhere), or the MFD is bad.

    Check the fuses anyway, but I don't think the MFD would display anything if the fuse was gone.

  3. #3
    Resident "Noob" Sabu1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    145
    If you hold down mode and set together for a I believe something like 10 seconds, you'll see the MFD completely reset. Mine was having some major malfunction issues when I got it, and that cured it perfectly...

  4. #4
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,570
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabu1984 View Post
    If you hold down mode and set together for a I believe something like 10 seconds, you'll see the MFD completely reset. Mine was having some major malfunction issues when I got it, and that cured it perfectly...
    Question; Does anyone know under what conditions the MFD record of running hours will get reset to zero hours?

    I have seen a few cases where I am sure the boat has way more running hours than the MFD is showing, and the MFD is the original one that came with the boat.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    33

    Smile Polaris Multi Function Display

    Thank you very much for the information, will try to reconnect the battery and see if that takes care of the problem. Just where on the SLT 780 is the fuse, in case I need to replace. Also what type of oil do you use.

    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Sometimes the MFD needs to be reset.
    Disconnect the battery (positive or negative), and wait for a good minute or three, then reconnect the battery.

    When re-connecting the battery, make it a clean one-shot connection, no bouncing the contact on and off before getting it on. The MFD should wake up and behave.

    If it doesn't try the disconnect thing again, and leave it off for longer. If that doesn't fix it, there might be a problem with the wiring (broken wire, bad connection somewhere), or the MFD is bad.

    Check the fuses anyway, but I don't think the MFD would display anything if the fuse was gone.

  6. #6
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,570
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by boat582 View Post
    Thank you very much for the information, will try to reconnect the battery and see if that takes care of the problem. Just where on the SLT 780 is the fuse, in case I need to replace. Also what type of oil do you use.
    Fuses are inside the watertight electrical box.
    To check the fuses, you would need to open it up. Unscrew the bolts holding the lid on, then it should come apart.

    Disconnect the battery before opening the electrical box, just in case you accidentally short something while messing with it. But if the MFD is showing anything at all on the display, it is probably getting power, and the fuse is OK.

    First try the two button reset method described by Sabu. If that doesn't fix it, do the battery disconnect method.

    Let us know what fixes it.

  7. #7
    Resident "Noob" Sabu1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    145
    yeah when i got my SLX from the previous owner, my MFD was constantly flashing the red warning light, and wouldnt read the fuel level or oil level accurately, and the speedometer didnt work at all... Once I did the Mode/Set reset it worked perfect...

    K447... Not sure about the hours reset... that was the ONLY thing that didnt get reset after doing the Mode/Set thing. Didnt affect that at all...

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    33

    Question MFD

    Quote Originally Posted by boat582 View Post
    I have several questions, first, today I took the SLT 780 Wave Runner out and after a while I noticed a Red Light appear in the Center on the Multi Function Display. The Wave Runner ran perfect and no other lights came on, and the light didnot disappear until I discontected the battery. Next question is that I have used Yamalube 2-W Two stroke engine oil, will that be ok. It appears that the Multi Function Display is not showing RPM or Speed and the clock is not set right. Pressing the buttones on each side of tlhe Display does not change anything, need some help and answeers.
    If I have a malfuncting MFD or needs to be replaced, where do I look for one, I mean where can I purchase one.

  9. #9
    She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    17,327
    +1
    29
    Ebay or try sending Wetherby a PM. He was repairing them for a very fair price. You may need to visit the "other" site to contact him. Unfortunately I don't think he cruises this site anymore.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 1997 polaris SLT 700
    By Bdiddy in forum Polaris PWC Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-26-2010, 04:18 PM
  2. 1997 Polaris slt 780 with trailer and parts ski. $1300
    By dustin88 in forum Polaris Skis
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2009, 04:49 PM
  3. 1997 Polaris SLT 780 System Flush
    By boat582 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 07:02 PM
  4. 1997 Polaris SLT 780 Paint
    By boat582 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-08-2007, 06:28 PM
  5. 1997 Polaris SLT 780
    By boat582 in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 12:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •