Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flush with vinegar?

Well nearly all the water that my ski sees is nasty, murky, saltwater. I want to ensure I don't get a lot of corrosion and buildup inside. I've seen those flushes like Saltaway, but I also heard of vinegar commonly being used as a flush. Thought I'd give it a try, so I poured a few cups into the garden hose and reconnected to the faucet. Started motor, turned water on, vinegar flows through followed by water for a few minutes.

Doing some more reading up and it sounds like vinegar could be a little harsh unless diluted. Just looking for a few opinions, do ya'll think straight vinegar running through for a few seconds may have been too harsh?

Wankel till I die!! jonjonwells's Avatar
    I don't think it would be too harsh, as long as it is thourghly flushed out afterwards. I have wondered about CLR or something along those lines, but would definately dilute something that potent.

I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1
    I use laundry soap in a Miracle Grow container

+1
    I think it's a great idea to run the stuff with the miracle grow container, it'll dilute nicely.
    I've know others that use vinegar and just flush it really well afterward, their stuff seems to be just fine.

vinegar is pretty weak the Maytag man suggest running it through our dishwasher and washing machine but I've soaked parts in it and clr like mister nozzles and it just doesn't do much now muriatic acid works wonders but I would never recommend it to anyone Z

+1
    Is there something I can easily remove to post a picture of how good or bad my method is working since I'm over 99.99% salt water riding?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    I think it's a great idea to run the stuff with the miracle grow container, it'll dilute nicely.
    I've know others that use vinegar and just flush it really well afterward, their stuff seems to be just fine.
    I am thinking it would be VERY dilute using the Miracle-Gro bottle, possibly to the point where it isn't actually doing much more than water alone would.

When I use Miracle-Gro on my garden, it takes a while just to fill the bottle with water, so I think the flow rate through the bottle is a small fraction of the total water flow through the thing.
    Used with soap, it would produce a soapy mixture, but with vinegar and other chemicals I imagine the output would be quite diluted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Miracle-Gro applicator bottle.gif 
Views:	66 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	40385  

Quote Originally Posted by pirate33 View Post
    Is there something I can easily remove to post a picture of how good or bad my method is working since I'm over 99.99% salt water riding?
    I got to thinking about it after the last time I pulled my heads. You can see up in there pretty good, especially up where the water exits the head.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate33 View Post
    I use laundry soap in a Miracle Grow container
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I am thinking it would be VERY dilute using the Miracle-Gro bottle, possibly to the point where it isn't actually doing much more than water alone would.

When I use Miracle-Gro on my garden, it takes a while just to fill the bottle with water, so I think the flow rate through the bottle is a small fraction of the total water flow through the thing.
    Used with soap, it would produce a soapy mixture, but with vinegar and other chemicals I imagine the output would be quite diluted.
    My thought was how well laundry soap would work with the Miracle Grow container, I like it and I'm going to give it a try.
    The vinegar was a second thought about my buds flushing it well after they used it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

My salt away mix-bottle broke( I smashed it with the trailer LOL) or I would still use it but filled with laundry soap-but with the Miracle-Gro bottle it seems to take the same time to flush with-next time one of the club members with a salt away bottle come by I'll test the time factor over the two bottles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information