Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris Paint Restoration

Im trying to figure out the best chemicals for cleaining and shining the paint on my polaris. Its been sitting in the garage for months and Ive rencently picked it up and wanted to know if anyone has had any success with any particular all-purpose / and waxes on these plastics. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

+1
    "Gel-Gloss" in the dark pink rectangular can...found at just about any hardware store or a super store like Wal-mart. It's a mild chemical cleaner which wont hurt decals and it's also a polisher. Best stuff in my opinion...

Def appreciate it, Ill go and get some this eve and see how it goes. Thanks again!!!

and if that fails wipe it down with WD40!

Wankel till I die!! jonjonwells's Avatar
    A friend of mine who works for Cobalt said that if you use WD40 on all your vinyl and trim, it will last forever. She has used it on her seats and they look brand new. Not bad for a 95.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Umm, don't ever use brake cleaner on your decals. It will take the color right off of them. I used some to clean the spot where I was going to install the registration sticker and noticed drips in my decals. Wiped it with a towel and took the color right out. OOPS!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Umm, don't ever use brake cleaner on your decals. It will take the color right off of them. I used some to clean the spot where I was going to install the registration sticker and noticed drips in my decals. Wiped it with a towel and took the color right out. OOPS!!!
    Brake fluid = paint stripper.
    Brake cleaner, too apparently!

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The only brake cleaner I trust around most plastic and some paint is AutoZone's. O'Reilly's and Advance products are too harsh.

I really like the new line of Turtle wax ICE Products.The liquid Clay does a good job of removing build-up.
    Last edited by K447; 08-12-2013 at 10:48 AM.

The paint/decals on my Jet ski all messed up. I wanted to strip everything down and put in new decals. Please let me know what can I use that will strip everything down and where is a good place I can buy the decals. The machine properly sitting outside for a few years so the jel coat stained badly. Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Removing old decals, cleaning up the hull

Quote Originally Posted by OldPolaris View Post
    The paint/decals on my Jet ski all messed up. I wanted to strip everything down and put in new decals. Please let me know what can I use that will strip everything down and where is a good place I can buy the decals. The machine properly sitting outside for a few years so the jel coat stained badly. Thanks
    I think others have had some success using an electric heat gun on low to warm up the decals, then peeling them off by hand. If you need to use a scraper, then use a smooth plastic blade, not a metal blade.

Do not use any more heat than you need to, and keep the heat gun moving, don't concentrate the heat on one tiny spot.

The remaining decal glue goop can be removed using Goo-Gone, or perhaps WD-40, and some gentle rubbing with a nylon plastic scrubber pad (like one you would use to hand wash dirty dishes). Again, don't use anything really abrasive.

Wipe the areas down with a good general purpose cleaner to remove all traces of the cleaner solvents, and any remaining old decal bits.

Try using Gel-Gloss (sold in a pink can) to clean and shine up the boat surfaces.

I have had good sucess using Lexol brand Vinyl cleaner on the seat, rub rails, and handlebar pad. Others have used very fine abrasives to shine up the rub rails, and apparently the heat gun works to restore color to faded sponsons.

Others will contribute what has worked for them, I am sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information