Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

???'s about building a 15F

This is my first post over here in the Kawi area. I have been looking at building a 15f.

I wanted to know what are my options and get some opinions. I dont really know much about the 4-stroke motor but I have been doing a lot of reading on them. I've just never turned a wrench on a 4-stroke watercraft motor.

I would like to build something fast, but yet reliable, either turbo or supercharged. What are the pro's and con's. Can I reach 80mph and be reliable? I would have to think so, but not sure.

This is something I would like to make a winter project so no rush but I just wanted to start to put together some information. Thanks

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Modding the 15F

You have two options… turbo or supercharge. Both require attention to detail and the right selection of parts to make them work….. you can built either to reach 80 but reliability may become an issue. On the riva s/c kit you will need to run race gas and keep the compression the motor has… your other option is to use lower compression pistons in the motor and run pump gas but you will not be reaching the power you would be on the race gas…. Also on the s/c kits the belt becomes an issue and needs to be replaced routinely. If you are inclined, you can build it yourself, if not, at the very least I would send the motor to Judge Motorsports and have him do the internals on it and then assemble the rest of the boat yourself.

The second option is turbocharging… there is no off the shelf kit as of yet to turbocharge the 15F. three or four people on the message boards have built one with varying levels of success…. The guys down in new Zealand/Australia are supposedly bringing to market a bolt on turbo kit that will run on pump gas.

Both options will diminish the reliability of the boat. Each has it owns pros and cons and the reliability on both is equal. The pros on both boats are that it will be one quick rough and flatwater boat if you are racing it…. All be it not the best hull for top end speeds, it does help it go faster in the rougher water because of the length

Then there is tuning….you have a bunch of different options as far as an EMS is concerned finding one that you are comfortable with and making adjustments to are key things to look for when selecting one… MoTec, Autronic, BigStuff3, would all be suitable selections for an EMS

The cons of each are as such… on the s/c boat the belt is the main issue and keeping it tight and not shredding the belt is one of the main issues… on the turbo boat you have to worry about proper oiling to the turbo as well as the increased heatsoak in the engine compartment because of the heat the turbo is generating.

I am by no means an expert on this, but these are my observations as to the modding of this boat

Thanks for the reply. I really wanted to go turbo. I have seen the video on the one they are working on down under. That thing sounds awesome.

This is some good information. Exactly what I was looking for. Just wanted to get some honest opinions from all the Kawi boys since I really dont know much about them

Quote Originally Posted by HCP Designs View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I really wanted to go turbo. I have seen the video on the one they are working on down under. That thing sounds awesome.

This is some good information. Exactly what I was looking for. Just wanted to get some honest opinions from all the Kawi boys since I really dont know much about them

HCP, you need to call this guy he's got alot of info that could help you on the 15F. It just depends on how much you want to spend. Look at the bottom of this link.

http://peakpowersports.net/15.html

I talked to Rick today. It seems like he knows his stuff with these motors. He had some very good info and took some time out of his day to talk to me about my options.

Thanks for the info. Keep it coming if anyone has anymore!!

Quote Originally Posted by HCP Designs View Post
    I talked to Rick today. It seems like he knows his stuff with these motors. He had some very good info and took some time out of his day to talk to me about my options.

Thanks for the info. Keep it coming if anyone has anymore!!

What route are you planning on taking with the 15F? From talking to him he has many it seems like.

First I need to find a 15F!!! I'll be looking for a while I think. There is one for sale on here with a droped valve. No knock to him, but I think it to much for a non runner. Also I wnat to find something more in my area, I really dont want to drive that far for his ski.

I think I will go the turbo route. When I get more serious I will call him back to get more details. He was real busy with World Finals just around the corner. I need some more information to make my decision but I think the turbo is the way to go.

They dont have a kit yet but are fine tuning one right now. They are building one to take to WF for soem people to ride. He said the thing is stupid fast. Depending on choice of set up I could be in the 80-90mph range and yet be reliable. And when I say reliable I mean "mod reliable". I will still have much maintainance and rebuilds but way better than my Triple pipe GPR. I'm still going to have a hrd time parting with my GPR

modded 15F

Yea, if money weren't an object I think the turbo 15F is the way to go too but I just can't justify dumping the fuel it requires just for lake riding. Although, he did say there were smaller turbo's that can run on 93oct but then alot has to be changed to run that that to me from talking to him it just makes more sense just to change other things to make it a fast lake runner and keep it naturally aspirated. That was just my take on it but I'm just a lake riding guy now but I have no doubt with some of his stuff a 90+ mph 15F could be made. Good luck with your project and keep me posted on what you come up with.

I did talk to him about the different size turbos too. There is a lot of options here with the turbo set up.

I'm going to have to keep the costs down as much as possiable. That s why I'm looking for something that is in non running order. I didnt really get into the fuel consumption conversation with him. I too will be a lake rider. I do not race anymore. I just want something fast for myself. And maybe the challenge of building a fast ski.

I was bitten by the turbo bug when I herd one run. They sound AWESOME. Since then I have wanted to build one. I figure if I can find one in non running order I will be able to give it a shot. Seems like I may be looking for one for a while, they seem very reliable and not many are blown up around here.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by STXR814 View Post
    Yea, if money weren't an object I think the turbo 15F is the way to go too but I just can't justify dumping the fuel it requires just for lake riding. Although, he did say there were smaller turbo's that can run on 93oct but then alot has to be changed to run that that to me from talking to him it just makes more sense just to change other things to make it a fast lake runner and keep it naturally aspirated. That was just my take on it but I'm just a lake riding guy now but I have no doubt with some of his stuff a 90+ mph 15F could be made. Good luck with your project and keep me posted on what you come up with.

there are already 3 if not 4 90+mph 15F's in existence...... they are down in the southwest corner of florida

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information