1997 Polaris SLT 780 System Flush

In flushing out the Polaris SLT 780 after a ride in the salt water, just how much pressure do you apply with the garden hose connected, after you start up the engine. Also how long do you continue to flush the engine.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    You shouldn't need more than a 1/4 turn of the spigot. I'd run it for 2-3 mins on the hose. Make sure to start the engine first, then the water. Then shut off the water, then the engine. Otherwise water may enter the cylinders.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    You shouldn't need more than a 1/4 turn of the spigot. I'd run it for 2-3 mins on the hose. Make sure to start the engine first, then the water. Then shut off the water, then the engine. Otherwise water may enter the cylinders.
    If you are the motor running that long on the hose, out of the water, do you need to also spray water onto the jet pump stator bearings to keep them cool?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    If you are the motor running that long on the hose, out of the water, do you need to also spray water onto the jet pump stator bearings to keep them cool?
    I usually had a second hose shooting a jet of water up the rear of the jetpump to cover that problem, but recently someone raised the issue of heat also at the carrier bearing. During a flushing session, I felt the carrier after only about a minute or two of running and that sucker was hot! Was packed with fresh grease too, so at the moment it seems to be the limiting factor on trailer-running times.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

usually you have the coolant hose spill in both ways one to the motor and then the othere to the pump where the lake water would come from , althought its enough to keep em cool for a little while never run it for long becuase they are not totally in water like they were intended ,

plus that hull thru coupler likes to heat up if you run it to long out of water

Question Flushing the Polaris SLT780

Quote Originally Posted by boat582 View Post
    In flushing out the Polaris SLT 780 after a ride in the salt water, just how much pressure do you apply with the garden hose connected, after you start up the engine. Also how long do you continue to flush the engine.
    After reading all of the threads on the flushing, I started checking my Polaris 780 and now am wondering just where the intake is that the water is taken in to cool the engine. Can anyone explain the intake and output .

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by boat582 View Post
    After reading all of the threads on the flushing, I started checking my Polaris 780 and now am wondering just where the intake is that the water is taken in to cool the engine. Can anyone explain the intake and output .
    Look at the jet pump, you will see a thick (maybe 1 inch size) black pipe/tube running alongside the pump itself, from near the back of the fixed nozzle portion of the pump, forward into the rear of the hull. That tube carries water pressurized by the jet pump.

Inside the hull, it is the larger of the hose connections you see down beside the jet pump drive shaft.

On the way out, the large 3" or so rubber hose carries the engine exhaust fumes out the back of the boat, and some of the discharged cooling water is mixed with the exhaust as it exits.

Thread Information