Unhappy help! 2007 speedster intake issues

Is there a mod available for the intake (two-tine version) on the 2007 speedster 155hp. I keep sucking up grass and ropes and as a newbee this is making for a bitch of a learning curve. Any help appreciated! actually, just got done reading the threads about intakes and I see that it is an ongoing dilemma. guess I just better sack up and jump in the water to clear it like the rest of y'all. Alligators and sharks be damned.
    Last edited by sugarman; 10-01-2007 at 11:14 PM.

Couple of weeks ago, I stopped the boat because I was crossing paths with a 13 to 14' gator. Looked like a frickin' dinosaur compared to the gators on my lake. As soon as I went to hit the throttle again, I noticed I was in a huge field of Hydrilla. It was either jump in the water to unclog the jet intake, or wait to be rescued. I waited two hours in a thunderstorm to be rescued. This was the same lake that a 12' gator ate a homeless man a few months back. When I finally got the boat home, I realized that there was no way I would have been able to clear the intake from underwater, the weeds were packed in there as tight as concrete.

Lessons learned? A whistle and a little paddle are worthless in that situation. I now have a good survival kit on the boat, including bug spray, flashlight, poncho, air horn, etc. Probably the most useful thing, if/when I'm in that situation again, is a pole (extend-able to 8') that I keep in the ski locker. If weeds have clogged you up, you're surely in relatively shallow water, so a pole like that can move you along a whole lot faster than a paddle will.

You've got to get good at noticing and avoiding weedy spots, and if you do get into some weeds, keep the throttle up and get out of there. Going to idle allows it to clog with what otherwise would have gotten shot out the back. People have tried certain mods, such as chicken wire around the grate, etc., and it just doesn't work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000699.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	320.8 KB 
ID:	40496  

YIKES!!! A little salad with your boat?

You know whats gets me. I have a 98 Challenger 1800 And I have a handle that lowers the grate to clean it off. If I get weeds I go along and then cut the motors and lower the grate and it cleans off . I cant understand why Sea Doo got rid of this feature.
    Last edited by Dr Len; 10-02-2007 at 10:20 PM.

I think it all depends on the lake you run your boat in.....My lake is pretty shallow, in fact its a river dammed up, but it has very little in weeds.

My biggest concerns with the intake are ropes, the occasional stick, and sandbars.

VXN...wow......any damage????

VX1...wow......any damage????
    Just a few minor scratches to the hull when the wind blew me up against some rocks, but no damage to the pump. Oh, and also my wife gives me this "look" when I'm going to head to another lake in the evening, so I guess my reputation is damaged.

Damn....you should have put the 'pedal to the metal' (full throttle) and then get a jump out of that big aligator's back...!!! There you go....next time he will let you fly by before crossing the waterway...!!!

Reverse in circles

I have sucked gravel up from sandbars a couple times now, I put the boat in reverse and go in circles until it clears out, it normally takes about 8-10 tries. I go down a canal to get to gulf and it had gators in it as well, so this is what I do so I dont have to get in the water. This is what the dealer told me to do and so far so it has worked both times.

Can't argue with something that has worked for ya, but understand that as far as the pump is concerned, there is no difference between forward and reverse; water is sucked into the intake under the boat and shot out the jet the same for both. Reverse only lowers a bucket to redirect the force of the water after it has left the pump. If it takes that long to clear out gravel, I'd worry that your wear ring is shot, which would happen if any of the gravel got caught between the prop and wear ring.

Ah you just found out why jet boats pretty much suck on anything but a clean lake. Sometimes the water flowing under the boat when in reverse can help, but if you got it really packed your sorta screwed.

Thread Information