Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Obsessive Compulsive ;)
    +1

'06 GPR: Mods Schedule

Okay Fellas... I just picked up a pristine 2006 GPR. Bone Stock. I'll use this thread to plan out, discuss, and execute my mods path.

First, what I want from the craft: Reliable, and safe. Don't care for it to be any faster. Don't care if I lose 3 mph with mods that make it safer. I'd like it to handle well to keep it fun. Riding conditions are Florida Bay and the ocean so I'll see some rough stuff at times.

So using a shortlist courtesy of Spaceman, we have this:

Intake grate (R&d/riva)
    pumpseal kit (10oz tube of 3m 4200)
    pump tunnel reinforcement (carbon fibre reinforcing)
    D-Plate (catalystic convertor removal)
    ride plate (island mod4 or jims FF)
    stepped sponsons (free: step the oem sponsons)
    If you got any other suggestions, feel free.

Now for the questions:

1. Which order should I do these in?
    2. Intake grate: Which one do I get that's the safest but also the least taxing on the pump tunnel?
    3. Pump Tunnel Reinforcement. Is the R&D kit good or should I do the DIY version? I don't care about the money part, I just want the most painless method of getting it done. It seems tedious. Would a stock '06 boat really need this?
    4. Ride Plate: How necessary is this and when do I know if I need one? To cure some porpoising or is it for more top end? If speed is all it's good for, then I don't really need it. ...yet.
    5. And finally, what mods need to go in together to minimize work, time, and cost?

Sorry all the questions, fellas. This is my first real ski and I'd like to set it up right the first time and be done with it. I've read TONS of stuff from searching and the opinions are all over the map so I'd hope a thread with my needs would help narrow it down.

Thanks, all! Let's get this thing modded!

+1
    If all you want is safe and reliable you only need a D-plate, 1200 intake grate and a tunnel reinf kit.

+1
    The Jimsplate is great but if you are going to ride in the rough the stocker is a better.

Obsessive Compulsive ;)
    +1
    My ski has 53 hours on it. How urgent is the D-Plate needed?

By 1200 intake grate is that some aftermarket grate or a stock GPR1200 grate? Also I've read this grate stuffs the crap out of the pump putting more stresses on the tunnel? Should I look at something else because of this or shut up and ride? (with reinf. of course)

And yea I'll be in the rough stuff so I can use the stocker plate for now until I hone a sense for what I need to improve.

Thanks, guys.

+1
    The grate issue is a "catch 22". You need the aftermarket grate to keep the ski from suddenly ejecting you, but it will cause a little more pump stuffing and pressure on the tunnel. The 1200 grate that I refer to is aftermarket. You can choose from the R&D, Riva, Pro Tec, etc. The stock grate is dangerous.

There have been several bone stock skis that have cracked the tunnel, so it really needs to be done to EVERY ski. It will be a lot cheaper to put the kit in now, compared to repair at a later date when it breaks.

I put D-plates in both of my skis before I ever started them. There is no way to predict when it will fail. If your luck is like mine the cat con will cut your day short as soon as you pull off from the boat dock.

Obsessive Compulsive ;)
    +1
    Thanks, Jeff...

Is this the right grate?

http://www.rivayamaha.com/RivaStore/...oader%20Grates

I see no mention of 1200 or 800 there...

Where are people buying their reinf kits and d-plates? Any favorite shops or greenhulk supporters? Or just go with Riva?

Thanks!

+1
    http://www.islandracing.net/
    http://www.jimmysjetsports.com

You can use either of the links above or the online store here. If you use the "greenhulk" coupon code here you save 10% on Riva products, plus it pays the bills for this site.

Obsessive Compulsive ;)
    +1
    Thanks, looks like I'm getting a plan together.

One more question, for the D-Plate, I see I need a chip that plugs in. I was reading on other threads (WFO) problems with these. Is the Riva $20 thingo the one I need for my '06? Can't I just plug a resistor in? I have a decent electronics background and I know I have hundreds of resistors to try out.

+1
    Jerry will add anything to the store that is not there. just shoot him a PM or e-mail.
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/

+1
    I am going through the same thing with my 06 right now. I purchased a 2.2K ohm res to put in mine. I had an old exh temp sensor that I cut the probe off and attached it to the wires. The one that Riva sells will not work on the 05 and up GPRs.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information