Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Using a car to tow a ski...

Just wondering how many of you do it, and how many you don't. I've heard that it can damage the chassis of a car, no matter how strong it is, and that trucks are built for this type of job.

I'm getting my delivery of a 2006 BMW 330i in late May (financing over 5 years), and I don't want to destroy a 40,000 dollar car because I will be towing around my ski about every weekend.

+1
    A single ski shouldn't be a problem,but definetly check owners manual(or check a BMW forum)....Don't take the salesperson's word for it....they'll tell you whatever you want to hear I have a Z4 and I KNOW I cannot tow with it....

I towed my RXT all last season with a Lexus es300.
    I believe it can pull 2500 with the hidden hitch I had installed.
    I went to the lake about every weekend and it's usually an hour, hour and a half drive.

Just take the overdrive off and you will be fine.
    Also put the hook snap thing on the underside of the roller ball when you snap it to the ski(after you have pulled it up). This will stop the ski from bouncing on the road.

not sure about chassis and towing but I know the chassis on my car is used in the highlander and the Rx version lexus and they are suv's. Probably be towing this seasons with the new highlander with the towing option.

Re: Using a car to tow a ski...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    Just wondering how many of you do it, and how many you don't. I've heard that it can damage the chassis of a car, no matter how strong it is, and that trucks are built for this type of job.

I'm getting my delivery of a 2006 BMW 330i in late May (financing over 5 years), and I don't want to destroy a 40,000 dollar car because I will be towing around my ski about every weekend.

Damn. What do you do?

IN all seriousness, it should be ok. Hell itll probably outtown my Jeep. But then again, my jeepo cant tow a fat guy.

+1
    i to my rxp with my Passat v6 my buddie tows his spi with a 1.8 jetta.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn1825_122.jpg 
Views:	695 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	3012  

Re: Using a car to tow a ski...

Damn. What do you do?

IN all seriousness, it should be ok. Hell itll probably outtown my Jeep. But then again, my jeepo cant tow a fat guy.
    Undergraduate pharmacist. I get my license for the state of SC in May... only been 6 years in the making....

I'm not really concerned about it being able to actually tow the ski, but more or less how will the chassis hold up over time with a car not intended for that purpose. Considering I'm BUYING the car, and not leasing it, this is important for me.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    it'll work no problem... just get yourself a nice hidden hitch or something so it don't ruin the look of your new car from the rear..

only part that i would look into is the tide change and ramps where you plan on launching... around here with the tide change, most any car starts slipping and sliding on the slime at low tide

+1
    My girl is going to be a legal drug dealer also. She will be going to the school of pharmacy at Nova university here in florida. She is a pharmacy tech right now for 5 years at wallgreens

Quote Originally Posted by ADAMBOMB
    My girl is going to be a legal drug dealer also. She will be going to the school of pharmacy at Nova university here in florida. She is a pharmacy tech right now for 5 years at wallgreens
    Tell her to get out of being a tech. Shitty pay, and the best thing for her to do is find internships at pharmaceutical companies for the summer. Every summer I have worked at Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, and it's paving the way for me to work in research in the future. You work less hours in research jobs, and they are far more interesting than filling pills for cranky patients.

But for the first two years I'll be filling pills for cranky patients, or at least until I can find a research job. The problem is that they are so difficult to come by...

I've seen a 300zx pull one ski about the size of the rxp.

To add to another post above we pulled the double trailer with gtx sc and rxp last season using the highlander with tow package. Wasn't too bad, but with all the camping gear it was overloaded. We upgraded this year to a Nissan Armada.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information