Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

97 XP w.o.t death

Hello guys,i just bought a seadoo xp 97 and now i i have a big problem.when i go out on the xp it runs normal at low rpm also midrange and 3/4 throttle it goes perfect.but when you give it ful throttle it it goes for 2 secons and then completely dies.

you have to pull the dess key, beep twice and it fires right up again to have the same problem again.i thought it was fuel starvation and i cleaned the carb's hoping this would solve anything,there was some gum inside but not anything shocking, also i bypassed the fueltank with a spare tank but no diverence not even when i pump the pump bal i had in the spare line.

the engine ran for shure last year i know the last owner. also he had some water in the hull last year,there was also some water in the box that contains the starter solenoid.we cleaned it out after 1 day but had to replace the solenoid.

could you guys please help me, its not long before its winter in amsterdam.

+1
    valk, welcome.

This sounds like a lean seizure. Did you remove and clean the tiny internal fuel filters when you cleaned the carbs? If you have stock fuel lines they are most likely the problem.

Have you cleaned the rave valves? When you pull the raves shine a light in the holes and turn the PTO by hand. This will allow you to inspect the piston tops & front side as well as the back side of the cylinder.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Sounds like you squeaked one to me. Pull the RAVES as Steach advised and check the sides of the pistons. If you see vertical scratches/gouges...squeak city...time for new pistons.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Sounds like you squeaked one to me. Pull the RAVES as Steach advised and check the sides of the pistons. If you see vertical scratches/gouges...squeak city...time for new pistons.
    thanks for the reply, checked the side of the pistons one was sligtly scratced but not to serious,can you explain to me how this should couse the engine to stop please.

I replaced the fuel lines and cleaned also the little filters in the carbs also cleaned every rave-valve and every ground wire

What happens is a lean fuel mixture (most likely from clogged carb filters) overheats the piston edge. The molten glob of aluminum travels down and "Locks" the rings in place, losing compression and stalling the engine. This all happens in less than a second... Once you sieze it, it will continue to sieze until it gets so bad the rings will no longer seal.

Water can do the same thing, by washing away the oil (much quicker if it's Pennzoil from the pistons, and the end result is the same.

This only happens while riding wot.

Can you post us a pic? Seizures from an untrained eye always looks minimal. Check compression and see how low the scratched cylinder is versus the good one.

Put a bit of 2-stroke oil in the gas(about a quart for about 5 gallons) and run it for a while at varying speeds. Dont try to just nail it and see. give it some time and maybee you will get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by monsoonmadness View Post
    Put a bit of 2-stroke oil in the gas(about a quart for about 5 gallons) and run it for a while at varying speeds. Dont try to just nail it and see. give it some time and maybee you will get lucky.
    It will never perform as before the first seizure...ever.

Once the damage is done, it's done. Even if you baby it for a tank it will never rev as high as before. But in my experience...it will still continue to seize.

he guys i just did a compression test one 148 other 150 psi....
    looks like these are the good number right.

so whats next?? please help

Quote Originally Posted by valk View Post
    he guys i just did a compression test one 148 other 150 psi....
    looks like these are the good number right.

so whats next?? please help
    Post us up a pic for evaluation like previously stated.

wat do you think..i can see that the rings are moving so the are not stuck..

thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04102007245.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	466.7 KB 
ID:	40753   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04102007243.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	468.9 KB 
ID:	40754  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information