boy did i screw up

This isnt jet ski sftuff but my boat. I have along with my ski's a 24' four winns with a twin battery set up. My son was hooking up the second battery and crossed the terminals...threw the switch and the front terminal started bubbling and mildly smoking, all to be exspected, along with getting hot. Where do I start here? I have no power to anything. Not even when i put the key in so obvioulsy there were some fuses poped. I hope that is it and not the alternator and wires and all..........shouldn't there be a fuse before the starter?

If it`s GM engine/starter look at the fuse-ible (sp) link, that`s got to be toasted, or you got lucky and just fried the battery switch. you may have isolated the problem. check grounds, battery cables, start proving circuits from there...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    If it`s GM engine/starter look at the fuse-ible (sp) link, that`s got to be toasted, or you got lucky and just fried the battery switch. you may have isolated the problem. check grounds, battery cables, start proving circuits from there...PR...

The main breaker was ok and all the wires around the alternator and such are not burnt. What i have discovered is the soliniod "jump" off the started. It is hanging there where the cable from the battery comes into the starter and it popped ofrf. It is a GM 305

Quote Originally Posted by catchme View Post
    The main breaker was ok and all the wires around the alternator and such are not burnt. What i have discovered is the soliniod "jump" off the started. It is hanging there where the cable from the battery comes into the starter and it popped ofrf. It is a GM 305
    what do you mean poped off? is it severed? burnt in half?
    the fusible link will have a soft insulation to it, this is one of the first fail safes to fry and it`s comes off the same stud where the battery + cable goes to...
    I`m surprised it fed back like that shorting one battery to another or reversing polarity, but givin that the fusible link connects the rest of the system to the 12 volt source, it would fail from the other circuits making a ground thru it in reverse , ok ...PR...

what do you mean poped off? is it severed? burnt in half?
    the fusible link will have a soft insulation to it, this is one of the first fail safes to fry and it`s comes off the same stud where the battery + cable goes to...
    I`m surprised it fed back like that shorting one battery to another or reversing polarity, but givin that the fusible link connects the rest of the system to the 12 volt source, it would fail from the other circuits making a ground thru it in reverse , ok ...PR...
    Obviously your knowlegde is over and aboe mine becasue I am not really understanding you. It's hard to see down there but it seems like "whatever the red cable coming form the battery bolts or hhoks to right by the starter is hanging there loose and doesn't seem cannected to anything anymore. Again there was the large red wire form the batteries along with asmall one going somewhere that looked OK. It was all conected to the soleniod we believe................looking like a small can whaich connectes soemhow to the starter right? It is not connected any more. If there is insulation as you say, I either doesnt see tias that of just plain dont see it. i couod call you and talk to you if you didnt mind if you leave you numkber or just keep posting to help me through this. I am just trying to diagnose without having this cost me a fortune. As i said all the wires to the alternator look good and up top where the main breaker is didnt pop so.....................I dont and I'm hoping it didnt get far...........................

take a pic: and if I can describe what to do, maybe you can get it up and running...

yes the "can looking thing is the starter solenoid on GM`s and most of todays torque reducted starters...

take the nut off the stud on solenoid, larger stud with red cable battery + (positive), there should be a wire terminal ring on top or under the cable lug(cable end), if this is so, the wire hanging belong to this wire ring. your description leads me to believe the fusible link fried. this is it`s job incase of short... this is a quick failsafe, if you didn`t have this link the electrical harness would have been damaged more...

there should also be a smaller wire on a smaller post on that solenoid, or spade terminal depending on model, this is from key to start engine...
    hope this helps...PR...

WHAT COLOR IS THE INSULATION ON THE BROKEN WIRE? GREEN? BROWN?
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 10-04-2007 at 08:02 PM.

take a pic: and if I can describe what to do, maybe you can get it up and running...

yes the "can looking thing is the starter solenoid on GM`s and most of todays torque reducted starters...

take the nut off the stud on solenoid, larger stud with red cable battery + (positive), there should be a wire terminal ring on top or under the cable lug(cable end), if this is so, the wire hanging belong to this wire ring. your description leads me to believe the fusible link fried. this is it`s job incase of short... this is a quick failsafe, if you didn`t have this link the electrical harness would have been damaged more...

there should also be a smaller wire on a smaller post on that solenoid, or spade terminal depending on model, this is from key to start engine...
    hope this helps...PR...

WHAT COLOR IS THE INSULATION ON THE BROKEN WIRE? GREEN? BROWN?
    I will try to take a picture and get you the info you need but it is hard to get down there and really see. Where I am very confused is to why it is hanging. It seems as though whatever the solinoid/fuseable link connects to(I assume the starter in some way)is just hanging. It seems like by feel the it seperated itself form the starter, it is loose. i can see where the large red battery cable connects to the unit is and it seems to be bolter along with a couple other wires just popped off what ever it was on. There may be some other wire holfding it there but it is definatly free for the most part.
    With this being the case, would this shut off allpower? I have nothing evne when i put the key in there isnt anything to the gauges or anything. I assume the circuit cannot complete or go any farther then this link..............

Quote Originally Posted by catchme View Post
    I will try to take a picture and get you the info you need but it is hard to get down there and really see. Where I am very confused is to why it is hanging. It seems as though whatever the solinoid/fuseable link connects to(I assume the starter in some way)is just hanging. It seems like by feel the it seperated itself form the starter, it is loose. i can see where the large red battery cable connects to the unit is and it seems to be bolter along with a couple other wires just popped off what ever it was on. There may be some other wire holfding it there but it is definatly free for the most part.
    With this being the case, would this shut off allpower? Absolutely yes! I have nothing evne when i put the key in there isnt anything to the gauges or anything. I assume the circuit cannot complete or go any farther then this link..............

sounds like you have a few things going on there, a pic is worth a thousand words, maybe I can get you going from there. In worse case scenario that you have to take it to a shop, even a good automotive shop can repair this type of problem if you show them the wires are detached from the solenoid. prolly around $150-$300 depending on shop rate. someone good can repair that end of it inside of an hour, if there`s more things wrong then it could take longer...

if you do this yourself, see what color fusible link is and go to Pep-boys or autozone and get replacement link of same color, this is what tells ya it`s the same amp/load rating...PR...

Thread Information