Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

winterizing mistake?

Over 60, and just got my first ski. Seller said to winterize by hooking up hose to outlet at back of ski, and fill with antifreeze while running engine, until antifreeze comes out of drain hole on left side of ski towards front. Did this; but, noticed that bilge was full of the red pop. Guess I need to winterize again per the manual; but, did I screw something up, too?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4me View Post
    Over 60, and just got my first ski. Seller said to winterize by hooking up hose to outlet at back of ski, and fill with antifreeze while running engine, until antifreeze comes out of drain hole on left side of ski towards front. Did this; but, noticed that bilge was full of the red pop. Guess I need to winterize again per the manual; but, did I screw something up, too?
    What is "the red pop?"

red pop

is red antifreeze....if you used better oil u'd know that!

Now get out of this thread...it is about winterizing...what does someone from GA know about winterizing...oh ya....Winter that is when you need a long sleeve 'T' shirt, or when the trash man makes you take the trash out to the front of your trailer...LOL
    Last edited by GSXRYDER; 10-04-2007 at 02:20 PM. Reason: forgot one more sarcastic thing

+1
    Did you have the engine running while putting the antifreeze in? If you did then it sounds like you have a leak.... otherwise it sounds like you flooded your engine with antifreeze. ALWAYS have the engine running when flushing / running it on the hose.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4me View Post
    Did this; but, noticed that bilge was full of the red pop. Guess I need to winterize again per the manual; but, did I screw something up, too?
    Welcome. What ski are you working on? There is no good reason for the antifreeze to find it's way into the bildge.

1-Add fuel stabilizer and run the ski till it's good and hot to clear out any water you may have in the cases. On the trailer fog the carbs till stall.

2-For winter freeze protection remove the water line from the highest point on the head and add ~ 1 pint of undilluted antifreeze and reinstall the line. Done!
    -water in the exhaust is ok. It'll freeze and slide around (no damage done).

3-Remove the spark plugs and add fogging oil. bump the starter and add more. Reinstall the plugs.

4-Wash out the hull and spary silcone on everything!

5-Pull the battery for storage. Open the drain plug(s) in case water gets in the hull durring storage.

I like to stuff a SS pot scruber in the exhaust opening to keep mice from nesting in there. Also, place a cup full of moth balls in the bildge and sprinkle a few around the ski to ward off critters.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    What is "the red pop?"
    It's what they call wellfare soda in Ohio!

Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    It's what they call wellfare soda in Ohio!
    Ok, Gotcha!

I lived in OH til I was 9, I definitely know what "pop" is...
    Move to GA when you are 10...and ask if someone wants some "pop?" They will look at you like you are the dumbest dude on the planet...

Quote Originally Posted by GSXRYDER View Post
    is red antifreeze....if you used better oil u'd know that!

Now get out of this thread...it is about winterizing...what does someone from GA know about winterizing...oh ya....Winter that is when you need a long sleeve 'T' shirt, or when the trash man makes you take the trash out to the front of your trailer...LOL
    Hey man...it actually does get cold enough to winterize in GA...LOL

But...it doesn't last long. I usually just do a light bulb in the hull when it gets below freezing...

Sorry 'bout the red pop confusion for the southerners. It is a name given to the non-toxic antifreeze used in drinking water systems on boats and RV's (had some left over). My ski is a '98 XP Limited. Sounds like back-filling the outlet at the rear of the ski should not have found its way into the bilge, right?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    I usually just do a light bulb in the hull when it gets below freezing...
    That may fall a little short for the 14 staright days it doesn't get up to ZERO here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information