Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Helmets?????

+1

Helmets?????

What helmets are you guys useing and where did you get it?? I know all you need is a DOT approved helmet to reace but are the watercraft ones better then the motocross ones? What is the difference and where the hell do you find someone that has the watercraft ones??

http://www.kayakshed.com/prod/SweetF...&CategoryID=24http://www.gathsports.com/

I have been researching the helmet issue for quite some time and have been discussing it on and off on various threads. Here are my thoughts:

A full coverage helmet is generally required in any sanctioned race, CC, Supercourse or Offshore. I assume many people use motorcycle helmets although there are many available that are designed specifically for use in water.

Most rec riders do not wear a helmet. Its not required by law anywhere as far as I know and many people feel its unnecessary. The Kawi manual states that its up to the rider who should weigh the risk of head trauma vs. "cupping" ie neck torque that may result from a high speed sideways fall where the helmet digs into the water and twists the neck. The motorcycle style full coverage helmet is relatively heavy and may cause neck fatigue. It may also be gilding the lilly for people riding recreationally where the the risk of collision and direct head trauma is much less than in racing.

I have worn a Pro-Tech Ace kayakers helmet for 2 years. Here, the Search & Rescue and Sheriff's Dept wear them. They are lightweight and comfortable and I decided the trauma protection outweighed the risk of "cupping" esp if I wore a high collar high impact PFD.

Way2Fast was one of the first to mention the Gath helmet line. The Gedi looks great and can be ordered with a visor. Gath says that the helmet is specifically designed to reduce the risk of cupping and is perfect for PWCs. I have seen many photos of law enforcement and even Kawi test riders wearing Gaths. I think the Gath may be better suited to PWC use than the Pro-tech because its specifically designed to minimize the risk of cupping and that Gedi visor looks cool as all get out.

My only hesitation about the Gath is that ideally I want some face protection to minimize injury from a faceplant. This lead to Jetsam, our friend from down under, mentioning headzgear. In my opinion, this product also looks great. But, although it seems to provide great face protection, I dont think it can be worn with a helmet.

I recently discovered a lightweight full coverage water helmet sold by kayakshed. I'm currently debating which head gear to buy. Each choice has its own pros and cons. I personally think that protection against the face plant is important even in rec riding but I am probably in the minority.

1) Gath Gedi;

2) Ace Pro-Tech;

3) Kayakshed Lightweight Full Coverage;

4) HeadzGear Triton
    Attached Images Attached Images        

+1
    I've been using my street bike motorcycle helmet over the last few years, and prefer it over my offroad mx helmets...and it won't fill with water if I face plant, is much quieter than any other option, provides ear protection, is warmer in winter, and you don't need goggles. Also allows you to wear prescription gasses with no fear of losing them...or your favorite trendy sunglasses. Lots of forced ventilation, if you go fast, for long periods, and flip the visor for slow speeds. Most are DOT and the better ones are SNELL for impact.

Another alternative is snowmobile helmets. Same as above but with even better fog protection.

HToys, do you wear that full coverage helmet all the time? Whats your opinion on the need for it in rec riding? Any problem with neck fatigue? I'm thinking that if you wear a full visor the risk of cupping would be markedly reduced. I'm sold on the idea of always wearing a helmet but I'm favoring the idea of wearing one of the lighter weight models mentioned in my post. Any opinion on the issue of faceplant protection? I guess ideally one would have a couple of helmets to use as specific conditions may warrant but that Gath is $150, the kayakshed fullface is over $300, don't know what a full coverage motorcycle or snowmobile helmet is.

+1
    I either wear NO helmet or my full face. Motocross and gath make no sense at 80plus mph.

SOMEBODY started the same thread in two places. go check my choices here.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...939#post423939

helmets

WOW blue 182,

I never knew there were other helmets out there, I ride big surf all the time and wear a helmet, I found a Bell BMX helmet the lightest and water proof to be the best but I'll have to check you suggestions out, as I question the toughness of the bell bmx. I have broke a helmet in a sled crash so you notice things like that.

smoke,

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    ... Motocross and gath make no sense at 80plus mph...
    That begs the question, what makes sense from 0 to 65? Very few rec riders spend any time at 80mph+

I'm making no value judgments, just trying to collect info in order to make an informed personal decision.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    As far as full face motorcycle helmets go, I highly recommend Arai brand. Light, comfortable, very functional. Another one to look at might be the Simpson Bandit. Dunno about water use for either...i own an an Arai and padding is removable and washable.

Helmets come in various shapes (head size and shape) one that fits quite snug yet comfortable will likely be the one for you.

+1
    In the vast majority of on water crashes a large bulky DOT or Snell rated motorcycle helmet would be useless. The extra wind drag on these large helmets causes neck fatigue. Hit the water wrong and they will snap your neck ! Wearing many of these helmets would actually increase the risk of injury in an on water accident. Snug fitting helmets like the Gath are the way to go for watersport usage, including riding PWC.

Richard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information