Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mods to R&D GP1200r Intake grate

Are there any improvments that can be made to a R&D Aquavein intake grate for a GP1200r? I am about to install one and I thought I should ask before I do that. The surfaces seem a little rough and the trailing edges are blunt. WOuld it help to smooth out or polish the surfaces and sharpen the trailing edges? I have a fairly stock ski right now but am thinking ahead where small mods could play a more important role in performance.

+1
    The only thing I do to the grates on my skis are make sure it fits the pump shoe very well and does not hang down.

I have seen SEVERAL grates that "rock" on a high spot of the grate when you put it up against the shoe. If your pump shoe is sealed in the hull, put the grate in place and hold it firmly in place by the center of the grate (approx where the wing is). Then press on the rear most portion of the grate. If it "rocks" back and forth, I find the high spot and file it down very carefully until the rocking goes away. Be sure that if you use the portion of the PPK that goes in the bottom of the shoe, it is trimmed level with the shoe.

I believe that this rocking is due to several things:
    a) Poor quality control when casting the grates
    b) When you set the shoe, no 2 skis are the same.

The above info was shown to me by another forum member, so I cant take credit for it. Several grates were put in the same boat and all were different, including one that had no front to rear rock at all.

After I make sure that the grate doesnt rock, I bolt it into place and then file the rear of the grate so that it matches the shoe. You can also file/grind the top of the grate where it meets the shoe to be sure that the water flows nicely into the tunnel.

I do not suggest doing anything to the grate. They are known for breaking, so any grinding/modification will be at your own risk.
    Last edited by jeffsntx; 10-04-2007 at 01:48 PM.

+1
    Truly, here's your best answer - hit the search button. Lots of information about the lack of gains to be had and the potential for exploding grates from modding them. Read and enjoy.

And don't listen to Jeff (above). He's in jail in Beaumont and has never owned a ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zx9rpilot View Post
    Are there any improvments that can be made to a R&D Aquavein intake grate for a GP1200r? I am about to install one and I thought I should ask before I do that. The surfaces seem a little rough and the trailing edges are blunt. WOuld it help to smooth out or polish the surfaces and sharpen the trailing edges? I have a fairly stock ski right now but am thinking ahead where small mods could play a more important role in performance.
    or put you name to one of the great green grates jerry is getting made up for us lucky guys,thread in top of performance section,have a read and see what you think

+1
    And don't listen to Jeff (above). He's in jail in Beaumont and has never owned a ski.[/quote]

dont tell anyone what he is in for

I guess I was thinking that any mods that reduce the drag of the grate would LOWER the loads on it and thereby reduce the risk of a failure. Has anyone seen a crack form before a complete failure. If the crack started at the tailing edge then sharpening it would be a bad idea but if cracks started at the mounts or leading edge then sharpening the trailing edge should not be an issue. Being an Aerospace Engineer it is hard for me to look at the very crude and dragy looking grate and not try to improve it in some way.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zx9rpilot View Post
    I guess I was thinking that any mods that reduce the drag of the grate would LOWER the loads on it and thereby reduce the risk of a failure. Has anyone seen a crack form before a complete failure. If the crack started at the tailing edge then sharpening it would be a bad idea but if cracks started at the mounts or leading edge then sharpening the trailing edge should not be an issue. Being an Aerospace Engineer it is hard for me to look at the very crude and dragy looking grate and not try to improve it in some way.
    an aerospace engineer should be looking to fit a jet unit not try to find speed in grates
    you could be our first 100mph man

+1
    Again, hit the SEARCH button and all of your questions will be answered. This topic has been beat to death. Not trying to be rude or anything, but new guys (and old guys) are expected to do their own research before asking others - otherwise you just seem lazy.

+1
    You will have to excuse Fullbooger, zx9r...

He hasn't been laid in a while.

lol lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information