+1

"coastguard kit"

Hey all...
    does anyone know where i might find a CG kit like an all in one thing i can buy to satisfy the coastties and local bay constables? when you buy all the stuff piece by piece it ends up costing much more... but i think i might have to.
    thanks

Gig, I assume you are talking about flares, whistle etc. I have spent a lot of time (and had a lot of fun) studying equipment lists posted on this forum. The lists I liked best were compiled by Mitch O and the offshore LB/Cat people. I wanted to customize my equipment list, figure out bulletproof storage and add specialty items so I did not go with the pre-packaged kits sold by Boaters World, Overtons, West Marine etc. I may have spent a bit more but had no real choice in light of my requirements. One tip I can give you: I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to store flares & other pyrotechnical devices to withstand battering and the elements. Then I realized the solution had been staring me in the face all season--that fire extinguisher case bolted into the bow tray. I ordered some extras which store the pyrotechnics quite well. I carry several spare strobes cuz they are essential but have been prone to failure, including 1 on my PFD.

+1
    Friend,
    Yes thats what i'm talking about flares, whistle etc. I think you are my kinda people. I was going to go with the standard kit from west marine but you have given me some insight but i wanted to go just a bit more- just in case.. you know.... I will take what you said in consideration I do have to go to WM to get a few things, but i like your ideas..I like the strobe on the PFD funny.... I carry on on My BC for scoobering in the briny deep of LOng island... thanks for the ideas.

I just found a good product at the local bike store, the Trek Flare Multipurpose light. Waterproof, small & light & can be worn as a wrist or arm band. Single red LED has flashing & steady modes. 45 hrs on single battery & visible up to 2000 feet. Only $14.95.

One of the best strobes is the Visual Id Projector (red) made by essentialgear. It has 3 modes, flashlight, emergency flasher and auto SOS. 1 lithium battery good for 30hrs cont or 200 hrs flashing. Visible over 3 miles. It clips onto the PFD. Only hitch is its expensive, $90, but its one of the few that has been trouble free for me so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	402906.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	41060  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

+1
    hello!!
    thanks for the replies... I already have the 2nd light my ex GF bought it for me for christmas last year.. It does provide a good sourse of signalling.. things is round here we are not allowed out after dark.. , so the chances of needed such a light are slim- but i carry it anyhow..
    Just ordered some minor toys from riva and some googles from Oakley tokeep the salt spray away from my eyes.... I also might take a ride down to pompano(i'm in NY) this winter dragging my ULTRA and have them work some majik on it too....thanks for the reply
    Gig

Thread Information