Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Testing FP Triples for cracks

It's 10am here in Japan - pulling the pipes now and will test them. I can probably figure it out myself but since I've never done it before, figured I'd ask those that have done it -

Whats the easiest/best way to test them?

Thanks for the help,

Ray

The way I do it is plug the top 3 fittings. Then put air in the bottom water inlet. Should hold 10psi.

You can take a tire air valve and cut the bottom off and clamp it in a hose for the bottom fitting to put air in.

+1
    Hey Ray! Hope everything is well with you.

Thank you very much for the inputs Ronn and Mark. Got the pipes out - what a pain in the arse trying to work around the EGT sensors - made pulling the pipes more of a pain than normal. Spent another 30 minutes wiping up the hull after water and oil poured into it. Now I'm off to build a pressure test kit that I can use for the pipes and for the motor...

Thanks again - greatly appreciated.

Ray

+1
    hey Ray. Also, as you can see from the pics, from here on out, you don't need to pull the pipes to pressure test. Just make your hoses so that they can block each other off, and use the third one to hook up the tester. The last fittting (closest to each stinger), is open to the inner pipe and should not be an issue, since it's not part of the water jacket.

Well Mark, your pictures helped out a lot. Found out my PTO pipe wont hold air. Air goes in, air comes out. The other two were solid.

Ron - thanks for the tip on the bike tire tube - cut a presta valve stem from one of my MB tires and it works like a champ.

Now I have to work with FP to fix the pipe. The main problem I might have is these are not normal pipes. I'll let ya'll know how it go's.

Thanks again for the tips...now to modify the tester to pressure test the motor. Making gaskets tonight and will test in the morning...

Enjoy your 3 day weekend!

Ray

+1
    Number one cause of that rear pipe leaking, is bumping up against the electrical box. You need about a 1/4" of clearance.

To CORRECTLY clearance that pipe, move the engine forward. If it is too far out of the coupler, take the I-shaft out, and tap it out of the coupler, just a taste...

+1
    I know Mark already helped you out but here is some additional info from the How to & Faqs section.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18628

Thanks Duke - read that thread earlier. Allcool has a much more elaborate test set up than I used...

Mark - no worries on clearance here - the ski has an MSD total loss ignition so no ingnition or battery boxes...

Thanks again for the help - worked out great (cept for the part where I found out I had a bad pipe that is...)

Factory Pipe won't warranty

I got a reply back from Factory Pipe, and for the moment, I'm basically screwed. They said they don't warranty pipes provided through the race support program.

Anyone know another means of getting the pipe fixed?

Thanks for the help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information