Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beaching????

Beaching????

What is the big deal about beaching a ski? I live near Sandy Point State Park in Maryland and they have set aside a beach solely for jet skiers. This is obviously pretty cool if you want to spend a day at the beach with family and friends and you want to be able to take turns riding the ski.

There are also other times when we are out riding, we will find a tiny island somewhere with a bit of a beach or shoreling and we will use this as our base of operation.

What is the problem with easing the ski to the shoreline and parking it there for a little while in between runs? I know that obviously there will be some scratches on the bottom from the sand and the rocking of the ski but what are the other concerns?

Also, what do you recommend for parking the ski in this type of situation. Do you recommend anchoring it off shore in deep enough water so the ski doesn't bottom out? If so, what type of anchoring system do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your input. I will sit back and listen now.

+1
    From recent posts of water entering the engine via towing, it appears that waves hitting the back of the ski while off (or beached) might be a concern. Other than the scratches, and I just got back from vacation where the rentals would gun it and slide right up out of the water, I would only stress caution of shallow propulsion and the possibility of sucking stuff up and damaging the wear ring or impeller or both.

+1
    No real harm is done by beaching the ski on a sandy bottom, unless you are a fuss budget like me who doesn't want any white scratches on the bottom. Either pull it up by hand with the engine off or if you ride it up on shore cut the engine way before the ski bottoms out. When launching again, drag the ski water at least knee deep and rock it back and forth to dislodge any sand etc from the pump before starting out.

Richard
    www.hpmarineltd.com

I agree with the other two posts, I wouldn't ride onto the beach it is not worth the risk pull it up by hand (as long as you don't mind the littlie surface scratches). Personaly I don't like the trailer bunks touching the bottom of my ski. I have to much time invested in truing the bottom, I use a small anchor and a rope to moor it just offshore, plus the ski will naturaly trun into the waves and yon don't have to worry.

I stopped beaching my boats when I sold my 1997 Polaris SLTX's and took a heck of a whack on value because the bottoms were all scratched up. I just traded in our '00 GTX's ( they didn't have a mark on them anywhere) and
    I got " way better than average" price when I traded them because they were so clean.

We carry a couple of one gallon coolant jugs that I filled with cement and put a hook eye in the top before the cement set up. Add 10 foot of line and bouy from Overtons, and that's all it takes to keep them off the rocks and sand.
    We also carry PWC anchors for when we are out and about and need a quick tie off. One other nice thing about the anti-freeze jugs is the plastic doesn't scratch up the back of your SUV, truck OR the PWC when you need to transport them.

+1
    I once used a one gallon plastic jug filled with sand to anchor the ski. I used it to hold the ski off the dock while parking the trailer after launching. (most docks are not PWC friendly...your ski can wind up under them) Then I left the jug in the foot well until I got to the cove where everyone hangs out. I planted it, with a small bouy attached, to use as a docking station. Who said the plastic won't scratch the ski? I still can't figure out how, but the sides of the footwell got all marked up from the jug. From now on I use a small 2lb folding grapple hook style anchor which works great, takes up little room and is lightweight.

Richard
    www.hpmarineltd.com

+1
    I have gone through quite a few ski's and all the one's I take time to anchor off shore all have mint hulls and when it is time to sell it the new owner always buys it because they useually say. Man you have the best taken care of ski we have found. And I always get a bit more $$$ for them.

I anchor them two ways.

1. Is I have a little piggly screw stake. The one's bought a Wal-Mart to anchor in the ground for a dog lesh. Buy it in the pets area. I then tie a rope to it and then a little float and hook.

2. the second way it I take a old detergent jug. I hope we all have alot of these as you should all wash alot of close. I fill it full of san from down at the beach and I tie a rope to it and then a flot and the hook.

I like the first way as you screw it into the ground under water and your ski never moves from any waves. But I also like the secod choice if I run out to the lake during the week and no ones there. I just tose it in the water and go. But if there are alot of waves it moves rather easy.

Austin

Ive beached my ski twice in its first hours and Im never doin it again! It doesnt take long to stuff up a new hull (as i painfully discovered). Im gettin it fixed back to brand new and investing in an anchor..... so pissed.

Welcome to the Hulk!!!!!!!!! Rubz

I use an anchor with a long bungie rope tied to a float. I can untie from the ancor and the float will keep the rope from sinking and I can also see where the rope is. I also will run a second line to the shore so it will be close to the shore, With the bungiee cord I can pull it back to shore and the anchor stays put.

+1
    Go to walmart or any store buy some rope and a 10 lb black mushroom anchor. Double the rope to achor or jug w/sand. use pool noodle and cut it to about 18" slide rope through pool noddle hole in middle. tie knot at end of noodle and top. leave enough slack to tie a snap ring. Home depot sells real nice brass ones to hook to ski. By the way I left one in Tampa on DEC the 12 th when frank and bari raced. having to make another
    I had two snaps floating worked well for two skis.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information