+1

DIY air flow rear seat

Off shore riders maybe maybe not. I have never had a problem getting water here, but I have not experienced what some of you do.

This is made from 1" Al square tubing stock, 6 x 1.0 x 65 bolts and SS drain covers.

I used the square tubing to mount the rear seat 1" higher and drilled 4.25 holes in the mini compartment. Raising the seat 1" allows the compartment to vent, but does not completely open it up. I think most water will run off to either side because the compartment is lipped for a seal.

The vents in the box helps to allow heat escape on what I think are two of the biggest heat sources while running in the ski. The exhaust and the IC.

While running earlier this week with the bilge blower I could not build any engine compartment heat while running. It wasn't until I shut the engine off heat started to build that I could feel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010262.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	40847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010260.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	40848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010259.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	40849   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010258.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	40850  

Nice work Jason. And on top of that it looks "Factory" and not a sloppy a job. As long as you have sat down an thought about the risk (or no risk at all) of water intrusion looks to me like you have a winner here

+1
    JW,
    Looks great. The openings are in a good place to vent heat. I have used several of your tips in the past and looks like I'll be doing this one also.
    Do you have a pic of the back side of the rear seat? I'd like to see how you mounted the square tubing
    Jimmy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    JW,
    Looks great. The openings are in a good place to vent heat. I have used several of your tips in the past and looks like I'll be doing this one also.
    Do you have a pic of the back side of the rear seat? I'd like to see how you mounted the square tubing
    Jimmy
    Pull the latch off the seat, cut the stock to match the length of the latch. Drill holes through the Al stock that line up to the holes in the latch.

Use 6 x 1 x 65 metric bolts to bolt it back on the seat. Drill the holes in the Al stock a little large so you have room to adjust the latch for easy seat removal.

Basically, the square tubing is just a spacer for the latch.

I think this one is great, it looks factory and does not change the look of the ski.

Jason

Looks good and should help vent hot air out of the engine compartment, but usually after every ride I have a good amount of water in that box under the rear seat, I have been wondering why it's even there. If it was vented into the engine compartment i'm sure I would be getting excess water in there...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris288 View Post
    Looks good and should help vent hot air out of the engine compartment, but usually after every ride I have a good amount of water in that box under the rear seat, I have been wondering why it's even there. If it was vented into the engine compartment i'm sure I would be getting excess water in there...
    I have never had a problem with getting water in there even when I ride in very rough water. I guess time will tell if it was a bad idea.

Jason

this looks nice the big side effect seems like if you were to flip you would take on water. just a thought

+1
    TTT, works great with the bilge blower to lower hull temps. Do at your own risk.

Thread Information