Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Prohibido usuario
    +1

New Sat tracker for you offshore guys.

Check this new gadget out.

SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker

SHIPPING NOTICE: This new device has not yet been released. It will begin shipping on November 1, 2007. Orders will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. By placing an order now, you will reserve your spot in line and you can cancel your order at any time prior to the shipment. Your credit card will NOT be charged until we actually ship your SPOT device. The World's First Satellite Messenger and Tracker!
    SPOT is a small, portable, multi-function device that; acts as a satellite emergency locator, provides real-time location tracking over the web (using Google Earth) to friends and family members, and allows you to send one way SMS text (or email) messages in areas where you can't get cellular or internet access.
    As a pilot, you know what an ELT is, you've probably heard about the newer 406MHz PLB (Personal Locator Beacon), and you definitely know about cell phones. What if you combined all three and gave it almost worldwide satellite coverage? You would have the SPOT, the World's First Satellite Messenger and Tracker!
    Some reasons why pilots are excited about SPOT:
    • You're thirty minutes out from your destination, descending from 11,500' and want someone to pick you up at the airport when you land. There's no way to get any get any cell phone service, but SPOT can send an email or SMS text message immediately via satellite.
    • You're planning a trip of a lifetime flying above the Alaskan Highway and deep into Alaska. Your friends and family are both worried and excited about your trip. With SPOT on-board, your exact position can be displayed online, via Google Earth, to anyone you choose. Your friends and family can follow your great journey and feel comfort in knowing exactly where you are at any time.
    • You're on that same trip through Alaska and you have an issue that forces an emergency landing. You make a perfect landing on the shore of a river but now you're in the middle of nowhere. Count on SPOT, its' satellite coverage and built-in GPS receiver, to dispatch emergency responders to your exact location.
    • You run a flight school with ten airplanes and have rental aircraft going in every direction. With a SPOT in each airplane, you can track the real-time position of all of your aircraft, online 24 hours a day
    This is something completely new and different from anything else on the market. SPOT allows you to:
    • North American Alert 9-1-1 Dispatches emergency responders to an exact location (United States/Canada).
    • Worldwide Alert 9-1-1 Dispatches emergency responders to an exact location outside North America (GEOS rescue service).
    • Ask for Help Sends a request for help to a customized list of recipients (via SMS or email).
    • Check In "SPOTchecking" Service lets contacts know where you are and that you are okay (via SMS or email).
    • Track Progress "SPOTcasting" Service sends and saves your location on Internet site every 10 minutes to view progress using Google Maps
    Features of the SPOT device:
    • Built-in GPS receiver
    • Built-in satellite modem & transmit antenna (Transmit only device)
    • Lightweight, only 7.4 ounces
    • 2 AA Lithium batteries (When powered on has a standby battery life of 1 year)
    • Waterproof / floats when dropped in water
    • OSHA certified intrinsically safe (Class 1, Division 1, Group A-D Standards)
    • Humidity and salt fog rated
    • Operating temperature: -40F to +185F
    Track Your Location Via Google Earth
    Track Progress "SPOTcasting" Service sends and saves your location on Internet site every 10 minutes to view progress using Google Maps

Coverage Areas
    SPOT transmitter has recorded excellent transmission rates within the coverage areas shown below, and even sends each message 3 times to ensure successful transmission. Please note that SPOT must be able to "see" the sky in order to properly work. If you are using this in a cockpit, you must keep SPOT in a place that has an unobstructed view of the sky (i.e. the dash). GPS location coordinates are accurate to within 20 feet.

Usage fees for SPOT:
    With SPOT you buy the hardware at a low initial cost and then pay an annual subscription fee for monitoring and tracking as follows:

$99 annual fee for unlimited basic service (North American Alert 9-1-1, Ask for Help, and Check-In) .
    $50 additional annual fee for SPOTcasting real-time tracking service.

SHIPPING NOTICE: This new device has not yet been released. It will begin shipping on November 1, 2007. Orders will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. By placing an order now, you will reserve your spot in line and you can cancel your order at any time prior to the shipment. Your credit card will NOT be charged until we actually ship your SPOT device.

Our Price: $149.99

Damn that is cool.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    wow....unbelieveably cool and REALLY reasonably priced.

+1
    Do they give a free can of liquid rollers with purchase?

bust your cheating wife/girlfriend could be another use.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GTXX View Post
    bust your cheating wife/girlfriend could be another use.
    I thought about that, but according to the literature it only broadcasts your location once you press the button and you need a clear line of site with the sky. The real time plotting is only active for 24 hours then you have to reset it via the device. Way easier to get a cell phone and "plant" or give it to someone with tracking enabled to find their location. My Sprint phone uses GPS and cell tower triangulation to pinpoint its location so being indoors is not a hinderance.

+1
    Nice find! Wish I would have known about this piece of hardware before I went and purchased my Epirb. But then again, I don't like that "being watched" feature that can be activated. LOL

here is the company website

http://www.findmespot.com/

+1
    So I can see this as being an important device if you're stranded and coherent. As far as a text messaging device it's cheaper with your cell and the coverage according to the map is still limited. I'm not being a downer but the first thing I thought was this would be a cool device to allow you to be tracked (knowingly or not) but that's not the case since you have to hit the button and also PAY for the service. Now worst case scenario - I get in an accident and knocked out...well I'm just as good as lost with or without SPOT because I can't push the button.

The cool thing about capitalism is that someone will come out with one better and allow the options that I speak of then I'll buy.

Quote Originally Posted by rx4pain View Post
    So I can see this as being an important device if you're stranded and coherent. As far as a text messaging device it's cheaper with your cell and the coverage according to the map is still limited. I'm not being a downer but the first thing I thought was this would be a cool device to allow you to be tracked (knowingly or not) but that's not the case since you have to hit the button and also PAY for the service. Now worst case scenario - I get in an accident and knocked out...well I'm just as good as lost with or without SPOT because I can't push the button.

The cool thing about capitalism is that someone will come out with one better and allow the options that I speak of then I'll buy.
    Good points,
    In the mountains, canyon and so on cell phone reception is usually not available. I beleive it can automatically upload a position every 10 minutes. That is a much smaller area for a search party to cover than a 1 to 6 hour area.
    Having the device one most assume and accept the fact one is being tracked at various levels.

I think many will find a use for the device pilots, ballonists, ultralights, skiers, monutain climbers, hikers off shore boating, fishermen, sailing, and more.

In the future I can see a platform that will offer full text two way paging, weather updates/alerts, and other features.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information