My baby just hit 227 hours...Advice needed

I got my virage txi in march and it was at 69 hours. Since then i have put 158 hours on it. It has ran as good as it has ever and i dont want that to stop. what things/maintenince should i do to get a little more out of it before i have to rebuild it? Becuase i dont want to miss beating my buddies and their gp 1200's.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Monitoring injected 2-stroke engine condition as hours rise

Quote Originally Posted by viragetxi2002 View Post
    I got my virage txi in march and it was at 69 hours. Since then i have put 158 hours on it. It has ran as good as it has ever and i dont want that to stop. what things/maintenince should i do to get a little more out of it before i have to rebuild it? Becuase i dont want to miss beating my buddies and their gp 1200's.
    I understand these injected Polaris 2-stroke motors can have good longevity between rebuilds. I do not know how many hours you should expect before the top end will need attention, but I think the bottom end should keep on trucking.

Since the injected motors cannot be modified, as long as you don't abuse it, it should have a fairly long life.

Have you checked compression?
    It would be good to check compression every so often, so you can see when things start to degrade internally, and prepare for the repair, as opposed to having it fail more drastically on you one day.

If you don't have one, buy a decent compression gauge, that screws into the spark plug hole, with a medium-short shaft/tube to the actual gauge. It will last you a lifetime.

Take all the spark plugs out, ground the plug wires on the grounded holder, open the throttle wide, and crank with the lanyard off. When the gauge stops rising, that is your number for that cylinder.

Write down the date, the cylinder number, and the reading. Do the other two cylinders, then do them all again, just to be sure the readings are consistent. Always check with the motor cold, or hot, but don't mix hot and cold testing, as the numbers do change with engine temperature.

Don't spend too much time cranking, you don't want to kill the battery.

Another way to monitor engine condition is to make note of peak RPM on smooth water. If the peak RPM changes, with the same air temp, no wind, and smooth water conditions, then something inside the motor is changing, or the impeller needs attntion.

do a compresion test then take off the domes see if shes running lean , then make sure the pump is good ,

if nothing is out of place run her till she blows up , but sounds like your running just right

Thread Information