Loose Hull Insert for Motor Mount

Man, somebody please tell me that they've got a quick, easy and less than $5 fix for this.

FINALLY! (its been 2 years) go to drop then engine in last night and I'm chasing the threads out on the motor mounts (I leave them in the ski bolted to the stringers when I take the engine out) and the last mount I go to clean out is loose.

Both the inserts in the hull that its bolted to are loose. Not spinning, but rattly loose. There are no cracks around the inserts.

If I knew of some liquid with the consistency of water that dried hard, I think I could get a hyperdermic needle in there and inject the stuff around the insert, or (least desirable) have to cut the inserts out of the stringer and reglass them. Maybe I could drill an 1/8" hole next to the insert and inject some kind of epoxy around it.

I am open for suggestions. Hopefully somebody has gone thru this before.

+1
    SuperD what ski is this in?

+1
    A 2 part epoxy available at home depot and white cap will hold those inserts. Just read the labels. The commercial construction stuff is very very tough.

+1
    If you are talking GPR, the inserts for the engine are a style of nut held on by a backing plate. They look like this on the backside. They COULD drop out, or start spinning.

I think one of the best things you could do is try and chase them with a tap.

Its my '98 GP1200. I've already chased the threads with a chaser. Looks like I might try to drill the smallest hole possible next to the insert and try to inject the stuff in there that Joe is talking about; see if that won't work.

Unless somebody else has a better idea. I'm all ears.

+1
    I'm moving this to the Retro-Yami section for more visibility. Some of those top-dudes, don't leave the section.

+1
    SuperD I have my motor out of my 99, I will look when I get home and see if I can figure out something. Yami Loctited all those bolts in and it is a beotch to remove I had a bolt break in one of those inserts. The rubber mounts were a bitch to get apart too.

Its the back right one Bill (if you're standing behind the ski looking forward). They must have a backing plate on them like Hydro posted cause they don't spin, but just wobble around in their place. The top of the inserts are just a hair higher than the stringer and they way that the motor mount is wobbling around, its starting to delaminate the top of the stinger underneath the mount.

If I can inject enough epoxy in the stringer to keep the insert from wobbling, then grind a little bit off the top of the insert to make it flush with the stringer.....I'm done.

Thread Information