Can I get 70 mph w/o touching my OEM Carbs?

I have an 01 GPR with 45 hrs. on it. Top speed on it was a GPS'd 64 mph at 1/8 of a tank of gas. Today, I pulled the exhaust off, installed a D-Plate and I have a Riva/R&D CDI not yet installed, and an IR modded ride plate and R&D intake grate. I already resealed the pump shoe with Marine Bond 5200.

Will a milled head for 92 octane, R&D CDI, pump work w/ different pitch impeller and a ride plate get me to 70 mph?

On the down side, I love control and I am going to put a 3 deg. exit nozzle on it, Riva Sponsons down halfway and that R and D intake is going to slow it up, but I figure the IR ride plate will balance it out.

Having the carbs rejetted, t-handles installed just seems like a waste of money with the OEM pipe. Can't get to the lows, have to drill out the exhaust pipe bracket and still barely can touch the middle carb high screw.

Thanks
    TD

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    I'm not a carb guy but I think you'll need to touch the carbs if you're doing dplate,head milling, etc.

not sure, i run EFI

+1
    It is possible to do it with the right mods to the hull. But since you are going with the 3* outlet you are going to need some horsepower to push all that hull through the water. So yes I would say the Head, D-plate, F/A's and an upgrade to the carb jetting would be needed. Carbs are really easy I have had mine in and out of the ski twice this week.

I strongly disagree with the waste of money statement also. The reason to upgrade the carbs is to keep the dreaded midrange lean seize from occuring. also gives your ski better transition from the low to midrange and pulls like hell with improved top end.

+1
    Which intake grate? If you have Riva sponsons and a 3° nozzle 70 isn't going to be easy.

The carbs will need to be modded. That head and ignition will make toast of your engine if you don't rejet.

The jetting you will need is

110 lows
    1.5 N&S 95 gram springs
    125 highs
    1 turn out lows
    1 1/2 turns out highs

The 125 instead of 120 main jets are to help with the ignition. Disable the accellerator pump while you are rejetting.

Or if you want to leave the stock jetting don't put the head on or the ignition in.

Stepped stock sponsons are .5 - 1 mph faster than Riva sponsons
    The 5° nozzle is about the same

So off the get go you are giving 2 mph back

The plate will get you 3.5 to 4 mph

so your ski will do 66 -67 with the mods stated and it will fry if you don't rejet for those mods.

What impeller are you planning to use?

45hrs + gas in carbs for 7 years now + todays "quality" gas = you better go through the carbs reguardless

If you want control,it will be hard to come by with an Island plate.No offense to Carl its a great plate for top-end and smoother water and worth hanging onto.If you want control and ride in less than ideal(smooth)water you need a Jim's ff plate.Its apples to oranges - Jims plate best all around - Carls plate best smooth water top end.Loose is faster,jims has control at a small sacrifice.It depends on your confidence level and normal water condition where you ride!

H20--- Pretty sure tom has one if the old skegless plates ( dont forget we were doing gpr plates for nearly 7 years now---many different variations and changes have been made ) The NEW style plates with skegs are FULLY TUNEABLE and due to the RAZOR SHARP!!! skegs, ultimate handling and tracking can be achieved.
    ( just to set the record straight )

Quote Originally Posted by ISLANDRACING View Post
    H20--- Pretty sure tom has one if the old skegless plates ( dont forget we were doing gpr plates for nearly 7 years now---many different variations and changes have been made ) The NEW style plates with skegs are FULLY TUNEABLE and due to the RAZOR SHARP!!! skegs, ultimate handling and tracking can be achieved.
    ( just to set the record straight )
    Didnt know that Carl.Thanks for the info,always have liked all of your products!

Hey Carl!
    I am the dude that drove the trainwreck GPR from Ohio to your place in 2003! I had to sell that one after I blew out my shoulder at work and it took 3 years to get my shoulder back to GPR capable riding again. I will be sending you my carbs here soon along with the pump. I don't know if you keep records of what you did for them in 2003, but can you do the exact same thing to these carbs and pump? I think I went with a Nu Jet impeller, with a washer or something setting it back a bit. With the magic you did on my 2000 GPR, it ran 68's all day long with my rough water set-up and top speed set-up on a perfect day, I hit 74 confirmed with both GPS and a traffic laser. The 2001 GPR I got is already running 64 mph, I am excited about making this one run, too.

Thread Information