Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question

Question

Hey, My dad was complaining about the handling of our sea-doo GTX. He says whenever he comes down from a wave in chop it seems to pull one way or the other. Would this help? http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=382
    Anyone have experience with it? And I guess I dont understand how it works?

+1
    Get rid of the opas.

Those skegs might help a bit. Some people say removing the OPAS helps with the "hooking" you're describing because the fins are catching the edge of the water. You can buy all kinds of kits to partially disable or remove OPAS in that store.

+1
    it is your opas fins. when your pump is loaded the water pressure folds them up tight against the hull, when your pump comes unhooked, the water pressure dissapears and the fins drop intothe lower position,one will usually hook first causing the ski to sharply turn left or right.
    how is your dads slow speed maneuvering?? these wings are mostly for slow speed steering like when docking. if he's good you can disable them, or remove them altogether. they are basically like training wheels. he probably doesnt need them if hes riding chop hard enough to unhook the pump!!!!
    disabling cost a few dollars, you need 2 pieces of 1/2 inch pvc, 2 inches long, cut a slot the full length of the pvc, large enough to snap over the opas shaft under the fin. push the fin up and snap the pvc on. one on each side. this will pin the fins permanently up.
    check out this thread this guy over engineers the project, theres no need to disassemble the fins, but you ge tthe idea.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...highlight=opas

+1
    the other solution is to remove the opas system altogether, this is more involved and you have to buy some sort of blockoff kit, they are alot more expensive. the best are the race engineering or RE blockoff kit.
    the problem with removing altogether is the ski tends to porpoise more without the opas fins. the RE kit solves this but is expensive. other kits available blockoff but dont help the porpoising.
    so my advice is either go with the 2 dollar pvc solution, or get the 300dollar RE blockoff kit.

+1

?????

Does the porposing happen on the rxt's when the opas is removed? Im about to put a thru hull on my rxt (with the shorty box) and will be removing the opas. I was going to just go with the cheap 100 dollar block off kit, but if the ski hops with out it, I may want to rethink that.

no it has nothing to do with propoising remove those training wheels.

yep opas

While wave jumping the fins are most likely down. If not they will drop as the pump becomes unhooked. If the ski desont hit the top of the wave straight one of the fins will catch the crest of the wave inducing a rotation.
    In chop the fins will drop as the ski becomes unhooked. Chances of hitting the next bit of chop perfectly straight is unlikely thereby inducing a rotation of the ski or the ski wandering.

If you block up the opas, 1/2 pvc cut to 2 inch lengths place on the opas fin shaft it tracks better in chop and the rotation off the crest of the wave is minimized but nor completely elimanated.

Next steps for me is OPAS removal if those darn block offs ever arrive.

+1
    Ditch the OPAS and install skegs, problem solved

hehe ok, where do skegs go, I guess I dont understand how they work from the picturelooks like they go on the bottom of the hull?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information