Wink 95 waveraider carb adjustment

I just recently got my first ski, its a 95 waveraider 701. The ski has very low hours and has spent most of its life in storage. About month before I bought it the owner rebuilt the carbs, did a tune up and cleaned the oil and gas tanks. I did a compression test when i got it and both cylinders where at 150. the ski runs awsome and is a blast to ride but when its in the water at low rpms it loads up real bad and wants to stall. When i give it gas it clears right up and takes off with no probs. What adjustments do i need to make to the carbs to clear it up? This is my first 2 stroke so i dont just want to go screwing with carbs and possible make it worse. I orderd a repair guide but havn't recieved it yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

first turn the idle screw up(clockwise) and report back-if that doesnt help then we will start adjusting the mixture screws- welcome to the forum!

ok finally got a chance to put it in the water. I changed the plugs and set the idle up a bit, it still loads up at low speeds but not nearly as bad and it doesn't stall anymore. once i give it gas it clears right up. is there any other adjustment or is it fine the way it is?

i have another question also, what should my first upgrade as far as handling is concerned, ride plate or sponsons? is there any mods that i can do to the stock rideplate to help? i was riding in some pretty choppy water earlier and it seemed like the ski was all over the place, it was fun but a little bit hard to control. thanks again for the advice.

welcome mossiman to the forum. If you do a quick search for carb tuneing there are many posts about doin this very adjustment.

JFYI A rich running 2 stroke has a cackling sound and usualy has to sputter to get to higher rpms while a lean running 2 stroke will stall or hesitate before launching. A small counterclockwise turn on the lowspeed adjustment screw(marked L) will richin the bottom end relieving the lean stall. As always if the conditon gets worse, Go back to the original position, then make a small turn the other way.

The best position that i have found is 2 turn the low speed screw in till the stall apeers then turn the screw back out a quarter of a turn.Later take plug readings and piston wash readings to fine tune each cylinder.
    Those topics are also coverd in many posts on this site.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mossiman View Post
    I just recently got my first ski, its a 95 waveraider 701. The ski has very low hours and has spent most of its life in storage. About month before I bought it the owner rebuilt the carbs, did a tune up and cleaned the oil and gas tanks. I did a compression test when i got it and both cylinders where at 150. the ski runs awsome and is a blast to ride but when its in the water at low rpms it loads up real bad and wants to stall. When i give it gas it clears right up and takes off with no probs. What adjustments do i need to make to the carbs to clear it up? This is my first 2 stroke so i dont just want to go screwing with carbs and possible make it worse. I orderd a repair guide but havn't recieved it yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I have a 95 raider deluxe, and was having the same problem. i stripped and cleaned the carbs, and noticed that the fuel return on the second carb (the one that attaches to the tank) was completely blocked. this is suposed to have a very small bypass hole i cleaned this out with a sowing needle, (thats how small the hole is) set carbs to stock settings, and it has ran fine since.

Btw get rid of the choke butterflies and bore out that extra cast material in the throat, i did it run 99 octane pump gas and switched to premix, i cannot believe the differance!

Thread Information