Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Impeller Hub Size?

I have s Solas PA-SC-I impeller which I am attempting to install on my Virage TX, which Solas says should fit. The outer blade diameter and shaft size are correct, but the outside of the inner hub is smaller than the orginal and will not fit around the bearing housing as the original did. It just bottoms out on top of the housing.

Am I overlooking something here or were the earlier model pumps different and maybe this thing is marked wrong?

Thanks for any help.
    Tom

Got a pic of where the problem is? If the inner hub of the impeller is rubbing on the outer hub of the stator, thats a problem. If the bottom of the impeller hub is bottoming out on the stator, you just need a longer impeller spacer (no biggie). I run a PA-SC-XI on my Virage and it fit perfectly, but I don't remember what spacer I used. You'll like that prop...IMO, it's a great all around prop with good hookup and good top end.

Sorry, Im away at work and can't take a picture for a few days. I'll try to explain it better.

The outside lip of the hub of the impeller is the same diameter as the outside of the hub on the stator so it doesn't fit over it slightly, into the machined step-down on the outside of the stator hub like the original. Instead the outer lip on the impeller hub bottoms out on top of the stator hub and doesn't overlap it at all.

Tom

+1
    I had that problem with a XII prop & 6 vein stator(stainless). Appears to me most impellers outer hubs have a small overlap with ridge at end of stator(just outside of seals) For some reason the outside diameter (at hub) of some Solas imp's is smaller,my XO imp had large hub. I noticed the aluminum 5 vein stator had a thinner ridge than 6 vein.I ground down my XII,just to test it quickly,which wasn't very good.I think the correct use is on the thinner ridge,in order to have that overlap.

After further investigating, it appears that my Virage TX has the 6 vane stainless stator. I tried the impeller on the 5 vane aluminum stator from my Virage 700 and it fits. It seems that the step-down machined around the OD of the hub of the stanless 6 vane stator is larger than on the 5 vane aluminum. The inside of the Virage TX impeller hub is slightly larger than on the Virage. I wonder why Solas never mentioned this?

It looks like if I'm going to use the Solas impeller, I'll have to get the stainless stator hub machined down smaller.

+1
    What about using the spacer as nut suggested?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by thomslik View Post
    After further investigating, it appears that my Virage TX has the 6 vane stainless stator. I tried the impeller on the 5 vane aluminum stator from my Virage 700 and it fits. It seems that the step-down machined around the OD of the hub of the stanless 6 vane stator is larger than on the 5 vane aluminum. The inside of the Virage TX impeller hub is slightly larger than on the Virage. I wonder why Solas never mentioned this?

It looks like if I'm going to use the Solas impeller, I'll have to get the stainless stator hub machined down smaller.
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    I had that problem with a XII prop & 6 vein stator(stainless). Appears to me most impellers outer hubs have a small overlap with ridge at end of stator(just outside of seals) For some reason the outside diameter (at hub) of some Solas imp's is smaller,my XO imp had large hub. I noticed the aluminum 5 vein stator had a thinner ridge than 6 vein.I ground down my XII,just to test it quickly,which wasn't very good.I think the correct use is on the thinner ridge,in order to have that overlap.
    For us newbies watching from the bleachers, it would be helpful to see a few pictures of this problem.

I am having trouble picturing exactly what the issue is, and understanding why Polaris would make hubs, or impellers, with differing diameters where they mate.

When you have a chance, of course.

+1
    Did Polaris make a longer spacer? I looked at a couple spacers,all same length. As far as the XII prop,the blades are a good distance from the stator veins(noticeably further than other impellers),my first impulse was not to move it further away.Later I was concerned if eliminating the overlap will alow more water or pressure at the bearing seals.Any way I switched back to a Nujet 7.0 impeller.

Sorry K447,I don't have pictures.But I'll try.
    Last edited by casey67; 10-10-2007 at 09:09 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    What about using the spacer as nut suggested?

IMO i would NOT space impeller further away from the pump. typically you will get better performance ( and "prop hookup") from an impeller that sits closer to the pump stator veins. we have spent alot of time here setting ups skis with a "cut back" prop.

i think you should jsut get a prop with the proper hud diam, for your pump.

get with dave @ impros, and see what he recomends.

good luck! zig

This is a common issue with the Solas SC Polaris impellers. Mine happens to fit perfectly fine, but I know several others have reported the issue. Wonder if they were originally designed around the aluminum 5 vane stators? The Skat impellers that are not OEM Polaris need to run the longer spacer because the blades are too close to the stator and could rub. I agree with John though, you dont want to space it out too far, or hookup will suffer. Although, if the blades are too close, it costs top speed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information