Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 seadoo GTX BLOWN UP!?

hey guys I was just riding my 2001 seadoo gtx a few days ago and it was running perfect, my brother and I were racing around and then it started cutting out while I was going full throttle so I let off the gas a little a cruised around. Then the next time I was going full throttle it just cut out and shut down. It wouldn't turn over, just made the electrical "err" noise and my brother towed me in. When I got home I took the plugs out and spayed wd-40 in the cylinders and charged the battery. Then it turned over but every so often it locks up and I have to repeat this. It won't start and seems rough when turning over. Anyone else have this problem with theirs? I hope it didn't blow up, it was running PERFECT and only has about 50 hours on it! ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    hours mean nothing.... stuff can go at any point..... my 250X has 29 hours and is being rebuilt... sounds like you are light seizing the motor.... it gets hot, seizes, everything contracts and then it does it again.

probably needs rings and a hone in each cylinder and more than likely a mechanic to go through and check out the injection system to make sure it is ok

it sucks because i know you are trying to sell it and this doesn't help the cause much

yes I was trying to sell it, I wanted it gone because I had the gp but the carbs are clogged on that and are getting fixed at the moment and I took this ski out and this happened . IM going to bring this in also I guess

just for giggles, is there anything stuck in the pump?...PR...

nope I didn't see anything, going to try a compression test tomorrow. Whats the standard compression on this?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by waveracer View Post
    nope I didn't see anything, going to try a compression test tomorrow. Whats the standard compression on this?
    150 I think. Mine went at 54 hours too

Quote Originally Posted by TX21 View Post
    150 I think. Mine went at 54 hours too

what was wrong with it? How much was the rebuild/repair? I really needed it gone so this is going to mess stuff up.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    hey guys I was just riding my 2001 seadoo gtx a few days ago and it was running perfect, my brother and I were racing around and then it started cutting out while I was going full throttle so I let off the gas a little a cruised around. Then the next time I was going full throttle it just cut out and shut down. It wouldn't turn over, just made the electrical "err" noise and my brother towed me in. When I got home I took the plugs out and spayed wd-40 in the cylinders and charged the battery. Then it turned over but every so often it locks up and I have to repeat this. It won't start and seems rough when turning over. Anyone else have this problem with theirs? I hope it didn't blow up, it was running PERFECT and only has about 50 hours on it! ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!
    Sounds like you threw a rod to me. Look under the carbs on the case and see if there is a nice little hole waiting for you. An engine can go at any time, and is almost always user induced. Has the engine ever been hydrolocked? I bet so, and about less than 5 hours ago.

I don't believe it was but im not sure, this is fuel injection so where would it be on mine? I put wd40 in the cylinders and when I hit the starter it still comes flying out the top w/o the plugs in so wouldn't that mean the rod is ok?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    I don't believe it was but im not sure, this is fuel injection so where would it be on mine? I put wd40 in the cylinders and when I hit the starter it still comes flying out the top w/o the plugs in so wouldn't that mean the rod is ok?
    You didn't menton it was a DI? That's a whole different story...

Guess what? I was actually the guy to seize BRP's XPDI on a demo ride at FT Walton a few years ago...

Blowing out the cylinders is a good thing. When a DI seizes it shuts off like you describe, and eventually won't rev. Yours must have been hydrolocked...it has all the classic symptoms. The only way to know for sure on the seizure is to pull the RAVES and look at the sides of the pistons. Either way...it needs dealer attention to confirm everything else is ok after repair so that it doesn't seize again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information