What does it do ?? Carbon Ring

Just trying to learn some more here .

What is the carbon ring and what is the purpose of it ?

Where is it located ?

Carbon ring is located in the accordian boot that you see on the driveshaft inside the ski under SC. it is held in place by a hose clamp. It`s function is to seal out water. the carbon seal rides/spins against a mating surface (floating ring) to create seal. when the ski is in the water, the water itself cools the carbon seal allowing for a decent life span.
    This is another reason why you don`t run the 4-tecs on the hose for long periods of time. The carbon seal will heat up, and the ride plate will get hot...hope this helps...PR...

Thanks !! PR. I have a pretty good idea how it works and what it does now. Is this something that wears out or goes bad ? What are signs of a bad carbon ring ?

Quote Originally Posted by MIARider View Post
    Thanks !! PR. I have a pretty good idea how it works and what it does now. Is this something that wears out or goes bad ? What are signs of a bad carbon ring ?
    when a carbon seal fails, ski fills up with water you want the boot seal running true, no wobble.
    as Steve quoted" stick the lanyard on the DESS post, pull throttle lever all the way to put ski in Flood mode (ski will not start) push start button while looking at boot/carbon ring and look to see if it stays centered and true, you don`t want to see the boot/seal wobbling...

yes, this is a wear item. I don`t know exactly how many hours you get on them, but if you are upwards of 80+ hours, it wouldn`t hurt to replace...PR...

Shibby could tell you more!...

Not really understanding this part though , you lost me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    you want the boot seal running true, no wobble.
    as Steve quoted" stick the lanyard on the DESS post, pull throttle lever all the way to put ski in Flood mode (ski will not start) push start button while looking at boot/carbon ring and look to see if it stays centered and true, you don`t want to see the boot/seal wobbling...

Shibby could tell you more!...

Quote Originally Posted by MIARider View Post
    Not really understanding this part though , you lost me.
    OK, the boot and carbon seal are clamped to the hull, so the boot/bellows and seal are stationary as the driveshaft spins inside of these. If the surface of the carbon seal is worn/oblong/out of round/tapered, it will wobble, run off centered, this will wear faster at this point...

if the assy is straight and smooth as the ski runs that`s a good sign...PR...

ok, i understand pretty good what you mean,

OK, forgot to mention that the Bellows/boot is designed that way for a reason, (ribs) it puts a pre-determined amount of tension on the carbon seal to the mating piece (floating ring). another reason for failure or water intrusion would be when this bellows looses it`s elasticity or tension to continually put force on the seal/seal mating surface, thus creating less tension and maybe a gap and water comes in...PR...

interesting!

PR How much you asking for 04GTX?
    My other half is riding 98GTi . Since i got the rxp we she doesn't keep up so well

Thread Information