Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Post What Is The Best Second Pwc?

I purchased my first PWC last year and I got hooked, so now, after 2 years I want to upgrade!

My first PWC is Yamaha VXR 650, single seater. I loved it, until I got to drive my friends Wave Raider 700, two seater. I am 250lbs and I need 2 or 3 seater, the VXR just can't handle my weight. The VXR has been great to me, but its very slow, considerably slower than my friends Wave Raider.

I almost purchased a 2001 GP800R for cheap ($2300), but backed out because of hight hours (140) and because of fuel consumption (12 gallons/hour). My VXR and my friends Wave Raider use about 3.5 to 4.5 gallons every time we use them.

Since I am still new to this I have few questions.
    1. Yamaha makes the most reliable PWCs, right?
    2. How many is too many hours, what is the life of a Yamaha 2 stroke engine?
    3. Which is the most reliable Yamaha 2 stroke engine?
    4. 2 strokes is better than 4 strokes cause everybody can rebuild them at home and they are super easy and cheap to fix?
    5. Fuel consumption is very important for me as fuel prices are over $3.50 for 92 octane where I live during the summer, which 2 stroke Yamaha PWC offers best or very good fuel consumption?

I really have to buy something nice for the next season and I want to buy it during the winter as prices should be much lower than in the spring. From what I know, the best PWC is probably the Wave Raider 700cc, I've heard these engines are super reliable and great on gas? Any suggestions what I should buy?

Thanks for all the help and sorry for all the questions.

+1
    Waveraider is a good choice but why get a 700 when you can start out with a 1100.
    I hate buying gas for my 1200's but its worth it to go faster.
    The more you ride the faster you want to go buy one of my 1200's

Sir, I am highly concerned about fuel consumption as I cannot afford $50 in gas every time I go out with my ski. I really like the Yamaha 700 engine, is the 760 an overbored 700? I know the 800 is completely different? Is the 700 the best 2 stroke Yamaha engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Waveraider is a good choice but why get a 700 when you can start out with a 1100.
    I hate buying gas for my 1200's but its worth it to go faster.
    The more you ride the faster you want to go buy one of my 1200's

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the forum!

If gas cost is that much of an issue, definately stick to a 2 cylinder. If its a stock motor, why are you buying premium gas? all you need is 87.

Yes the 760 is a bored out 701. the 800 is a totally different animal.

A well maintained engine in stock form should be good for at least a few hundered hours, but it all depends on the compression.

You know kawasaki also makes an extremely reliable ski. I love my ultra 150.. it's a 1200 but kawi's special carbs in this ski enable it to get pretty good gas mileage.. and it still will go 70mph. Basically, it has a 16 gallon gas tank which costs about $40 to fill up and is good for at least 2 trips out on the lake... had yamaha and kawasaki, both are very reliable ski's, and trust me you would love the more power of a 1200 engine vs a 700 especially when you can get a 1200 that is great on gas. Also, have you considered a 4stroker ski like the honda aquatrex? They are very good on gas, more like a car.

Good luck in your decision!
    Jared

+1
    It sounds like a 700 waveraider would be great for you but i dont know how good they are on gas,they must be better than a 3 cylinder.
    I do know they have a learning curve when you ride them and the 700 motor is a good platform.
    Talk to some people with 700s and see how they are on gas.
    Ride one as well if the gas is reasonable and you like the ride go for it they move prety good for a 2 cylinder the Purple hull is lighter and faster I think.

+1
    Top 2 choices 1996 seadoo xp 58 mph and efficient motor and hull, or a 1994 waverraider 701 purple hull. Very efficient on gas and 55-56 mph. I wouldnt worry about 140 hrs on that gp800r.. and if in good shape, thats a great deal

Sweet Miata, love the headlights!
    I love riding the 700cc Wave Raider that my buddy has, and its fast (for me), it gets to 57MPH on calm water and it uses about 4 gallons of gas per trip. My buddy told me to use premium gas on all PWCs, it will prolong engine life?

So I guess I am down to 700cc or 760cc, as mosts reliable and best on gas PWCs built EVER ...

Quote Originally Posted by jcc011185 View Post
    You know kawasaki also makes an extremely reliable ski. I love my ultra 150.. it's a 1200 but kawi's special carbs in this ski enable it to get pretty good gas mileage.. and it still will go 70mph. Basically, it has a 16 gallon gas tank which costs about $40 to fill up and is good for at least 2 trips out on the lake... had yamaha and kawasaki, both are very reliable ski's, and trust me you would love the more power of a 1200 engine vs a 700 especially when you can get a 1200 that is great on gas. Also, have you considered a 4stroker ski like the honda aquatrex? They are very good on gas, more like a car.

Good luck in your decision!
    Jared

Quote Originally Posted by stoyan79 View Post
    I almost purchased a 2001 GP800R for cheap ($2300), but backed out because of hight hours (140) and because of fuel consumption (12 gallons/hour). My VXR and my friends Wave Raider use about 3.5 to 4.5 gallons every time we use them.

I own a 800r, and I highly doubt the consumption is anywhere near 12gal hour even if it were a WOT. I ride mine all the time with my girl on the back and just last weekend rode for over 2 hours (1 hour each way trip ) in differnet type speed zones and still had a little over half tank when I returned. My ski actually surprises me with the good economy.

Quote Originally Posted by stoyan79 View Post
    Sweet Miata, love the headlights!
    I love riding the 700cc Wave Raider that my buddy has, and its fast (for me), it gets to 57MPH on calm water and it uses about 4 gallons of gas per trip. My buddy told me to use premium gas on all PWCs, it will prolong engine life?

So I guess I am down to 700cc or 760cc, as mosts reliable and best on gas PWCs built EVER ...
    Actually, in some cases using regular gas is better when the engine was designed to run on regular gas. Kawasaki specifically says in the owner's manual to use only regular unleaded gas, as higher octane gas is actually worse off on the engine. Man, if your buddy's 700cc raider was fast, you gotta try a beast like the ultra or even the gp1200r/1300r... but they ARE bad on gas. At 70mph on the water open faced you can't keep the snot in your nose, or your eyes from being blown shut! So far, the ultra is the fastest thing around here, keeps up with $10,000 rxps and even beats some.

As for my car, thanks! Yep, I figured I needed a ski to match the tow vehicle, so the ultra worked out very well!

Jared
    Last edited by jcc011185; 10-09-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information