Thread: T.O.P.S.

T.O.P.S.

How does the T.O.P.S. system work on these things?

+1
    Simply put, your ski goes to a certain angle and the sensor makes your engine stall out momentarily. The t.o.p.s. can be disconnected of course

Quote Originally Posted by Mccoy View Post
    How does the T.O.P.S. system work on these things?
    If you turn the ski over it prevents the oil from running into the cylinders causing piston lock from oil when turned back over. I think it's a mercury switch. When running fast in heavy chop the engine will cut in and out if it's not disconnected. I can barely hang on running wot in heavy chop so it's good for me.

Is T.O.P.S. on all 4-TEC engines, or just certain models? How do you disconnect it?

The Mercury switch is closed in normal position, when flipped over the circuit opens. There really is no way to disconnect it, but installing a switch or connecting the 2 wires at the switch will constantly keep the circuit closed. BUT you will disable tip over protection system...

Larry, I too have felt the engine kicking in and out rapidly, uneasy feeling for me...

I just did an ohm test or continuity test on my tops switch.
    normally mounted position, cicuit is closed, flip over the switch and the circuit opens, but bounce the switch and the reading varies.
    What I want to know: how much resistance does it take to complete circuit to cut-uot engine???

bc no matter how hard you shake the switch it does not get to an open circuit, not even close...so was causes the engine interupt?...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    bc no matter how hard you shake the switch it does not get to an open circuit, not even close...so was causes the engine interupt?...PR...
    Hmmm, that's interesting...you would think a mercury would just be on or off???

anyone have any thoughts on this?...PR...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    anyone have any thoughts on this?...PR...

Yes any thoughts??I have had my ski cut out many of times in wot runs through chop..

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Yes any thoughts??I have had my ski cut out many of times in wot runs through chop..
    Sure, if you want to disable it put a wire jumper between the two connections on the plug. The system will think it's always on but it won't cut out.

Thread Information