Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

New stuff for filling tab/plate holes

I've had my magnum steel in the pump shoe holes for years, and it's held up great. But for the tab holes, I wanted to try something new and easier to work with.

Last weekend I used something called QuickPlastik from Home Depot. Looks the same as magnum steel, a putty that comes in a tube. You cut it and knead it together just like the other stuff.

The difference is that QuickPlastik is much easier to work with. You wet your fingers and work with it, and none of it sticks to your fingers. Once you push it up into the holes, it is very easy to remove the excess material with a razor blade, then you can wet your fingers and smooth it over until it is glass smooth. Best of all, if you do need to sand it, it's very easy to do so.

Caveat - I have not run my ski yet with this stuff, so I don't know how durable it is. But given the specs on the back of the instructions (compared to the same for magnum steel), I don't see why it won't hold up.

+1
    I need to fill some holes before I go to Havasu this weekend. I will give this stuff a try. wish you posted this sooner I was at Home depot last night

+1
    I will pick some up today,i have been using jb weld stick and use a small drill bit around the bolts to remove when needed but this sounds much easier... thanks for the tip

+1
    I've been using this stuff for years on my GPR. It is by far the best option IMO. I've only had 1 or 2 plugs come out on me.

I like aquamend it has a aqua color cover. Comes in a tube just like the other stuff and doing excatly like fullboogie says is how I put this product on but it does leave a little residue on your fingers. However I have had great results without coming out on high speed runs just as long as you get it flush with the tabs. The trick I think is have the bowl of water beside you and dip your fingers in while meading this product and shaping it up in the holes

+1
    I was told to use liquid soap, does the trick every time,
    SHOOTER

I know you guys are the experts. Is it always the case that one picks up speed when filling holes? I have yet to do that on my ski. Thanks.

+1
    You will gain speed!!! I seen 3/10ths with just ride plate holes filled...

+1
    Some people have reported up to 1 mph with all the holes filled, but doing the ride plate holes is just not practical in my opinion. Tabs and pump shoe for me.

+1
    Fullboogie, the Quickplastik works like a champ... I have been using the jb-weld stick but no longer after using this,i had to pull my plate tonight to repitch the prop and got the old dremel out making a mess but come to find out i just used a medium size flat head screwdriver that i had sharpened the end for some scraping before and pushed it in around the edges to loosen it up and popped it right out in one piece... Don't get me wrong this filler is in there good and easy to get out with no pitting like the jb-weld does.... Anywho(thanks for the tip) James k

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information