sl900 help required

Hello I have a 96 sl900 and it runs for a while and then slowes down to 4000 rpm. The display center does not give any warnings and I have changed the fuel sender. So I think it must be a fault of some kind or could it be the plunger(not sure what the part is called) that is by the thermostat. Any ideas would be helpfull. Thanks in advance
    regards
    gianni57

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gianni57 View Post
    Hello I have a 96 sl900 and it runs for a while and then slowes down to 4000 rpm. The display center does not give any warnings and I have changed the fuel sender.
    So I think it must be a fault of some kind or could it be the plunger (not sure what the part is called) that is by the thermostat.
    Any ideas would be helpfull. Thanks in advance
    regards
    gianni57
    Do you have some specific reason to suspect the "plunger"?

How long have you had this SL900?
    Has it been serviced recently?

Do you know when the carburetors were last cleaned and serviced?

sl900

The carbs have not been cleaned for at least 5 years but the boat was idle for that time. I drained and cleaned the fuel tank and new hoses as well as the float and the pick up and fuel guage sender. It was working good for a few hours after that, and then it slows down to about 4000 rpm and then takes off again. As far as the plunger I heard that on the older machines they become stuck and can cause these problems.
    thanks for your help hope you have an answer.
    regards
    gianni57

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gianni57 View Post
    The carbs have not been cleaned for at least 5 years but the boat was idle for that time. I drained and cleaned the fuel tank and new hoses as well as the float and the pick up and fuel guage sender. It was working good for a few hours after that, and then it slows down to about 4000 rpm and then takes off again. As far as the plunger I heard that on the older machines they become stuck and can cause these problems.
    thanks for your help hope you have an answer.
    regards, gianni57
    If the carbs have not been cleaned in 5 years, then I expect the advice is to clean and check them. Be sure to clean the filters in the carbs.

If there is an in-line fuel filter, was that changed when the fuel lines were replaced? And the fuel/water separator ring inside is not floating at all?

If the MFD is working properly, and you did not get an overheat warning, then I am not sure that the plunger in the water system could cause the power reduction you are reporting.

I am not as familiar with the SL900 as some of the others here are. I am sure more advice will follow...

Thread Information