4 stroke oil in 2 stroke?

Hate to admit I even know this guy, but just like the thread title said, he ran Kawasaki 4 cycle oil as pre-mix in a Genesis 1200; 2 tank fulls! Apparently didnt even phase the damn thing as its running and good compression. Just wondered if anybody else heard of (or did) this before.

Well I'll share a little story. I told my dad, when I was much younger, that my car was low on oil but I didn't have the right kind. He said son, do you think it will do more harm to run it with no oil or to run it with different oil? He was making a lot of sense, it's all slippery

Old 2 strokes used to call for SAE30HD motor oil. The biggest issue with 4 stroke oil is that it is very dirty when burned, especially the multi viscosity weights. I doubt he did any serious harm, but would avoid it in the future.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BBCaprice View Post
    ...he ran Kawasaki 4 cycle oil as pre-mix in a Genesis 1200; 2 tank fulls! Apparently didn't even phase the damn thing as its running and good compression. Just wondered if anybody else heard of (or did) this before.
    I am sure others can contribute specific technical citations, but 4 stroke oil has lots of additives in it that are not intended for combustion.

It is also not designed to be mixed with gasoline, so it may not mix as evenly, or lubricate as well, as 2-stroke oil.

Those additives in 4-stroke oil can create unwanted deposits inside the engine, and the lubricating effects may not be as good as proper 2-stroke oil.

Two gas tanks of the wrong oil obviously did not destroy the Genesis motor, but whether there was additional wear and tear that is not immediately apparent, would be hard to say.

This brings to mind a story from Briggs & Stratton, the small engine manufacturer. After seeing their engines used as "proof" that a 4-stroke oil additive was so good, the engines could be run without any oil after the additive had been circulated with the oil, Briggs did a test.

They took a couple of engines fresh from the manufacturing line, ran them in with oil, as per usual. They then drained the oil out, and proceeded to run the engines again. One motor had a special additive in the oil during break-in, the other had normal oil. Next, the oil was drained out of the crankcases.

The test engines ran for hours, despite having little oil in the crankcase. Obviously, the wear rates inside those engines, without proper oil levels, are higher than they would normally be. But the engines did run, for quite a long time, despite severe lubrication shortage.

Eventually those engines did stop working, and showed significant wear internally.

Abusive operation of an engine, causing abnormal wear rates, often cannot be detected until the engine is inspected throroughly, or the engine is run until it fails.

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/snake_oil.txt
    http://www.qmi.no/PDF%20filer/briggs%20&%20Stratton.pdf

Thread Information