Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Where this water is coming from?

Went to the lake today to brake-in my wife's XLT800 and in my garage started right up. I didn't put any water and went straight to the lake.
    It started rigth up but 5 seconds later died. Tried unucessfully to start after a few crank ups. When I checked the plugs they had water. I grounded the spark plug wires and crank the engine several times to spit the water out and take the ski home. Now I clean up the plugs and after spitting more water out of the cylinders it started but died. Checked the plugs again are wet. Looks like a mixture of water and oil, but more like water. I am charging the battery while I go to buy new plugs.
    Where this water is coming from?
    I did everything by specs and new gaskets
    I empty the gas tank and added 50:1 + the oil pump for break-in
    I am concentrating now in save this engine before get rusty if there's water in the crankcase.
    Iam willing to take everything appart again and to drain thewater out of the crankase and filled up with oil
    What you guys think?
    Thanks

+1
    My suggestion is to first focus on getting all the water out. Retorque the head and put it on the trailer and back it down in the water with the seat off, fire it up and start looking for leaks and go from there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 97GPSLEEPER View Post
    My suggestion is to first focus on getting all the water out. Retorque the head and put it on the trailer and back it down in the water with the seat off, fire it up and start looking for leaks and go from there.
    Brandon, I think he means it is coming from in the motor like an exh manifold gasket or base gasket is installed incorrectly.

+1
    in that case check the torque on what Jeff said. If that does not stop the problem, pull the gaskets and make sure they were installed correctly.

did u pressure test you motor/cooling after rebuild ?

+1
    Did you scrape the old gasket off the exhaust manifold? Head?

+1
    Here is an update:
    I got all the water out and the engine running. I hooked up the water tap and the engine runs fine. I checked the spark plugs and now looks normal; a little oily but I think is normal running on 50:1 + the oil pump.

I went back to the lake. It gave me a little hard time before launching to start, but it start outside the water. When I went to the water it won't start. The battery was not charged enough, but I keep trying, and the engine start up, but died about 5 seconds later. I could see the water pissin out from the rear and the front normal. I couldn't start anymore because I drained 2 batteries.
    Came back home, charge the battery, checked the plugs and there was the water again. Crank up, drain all the water out of the cylinders ( I would say maibe like 2-3 oz of water came out), clean the plugs, and the engine started fine. Installed again the tap water and engine runs normal. Drain all water out, checked the plugs and they look back normal again.

Right now the engine starts fine in my garage. I hook the water up and drains normal from the front and rear pissers.
    In the lake is another story
    Can I hook up the water tap and flush the engine like for 15 min to make sure all the water is out of the engine and is not leaking inside the engine?
    The manifold gasket only goes one way as well as the head and cylinder gaskets. I took picture before installed the head after the gasket
    I did not presure test the engine. I just did a top end job
    Thank you guys for your help
    See the pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new head gasket.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	41419  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TX21 View Post
    Did you scrape the old gasket off the exhaust manifold? Head?
    Yes. Everything came off the manifold. I got the cylinders removed so I clean up everything there as well. One of the cylinders came from U.S. Chrome

+1
    Sounds like a jacket leak somewhere... I would also pull the head and inspect the domes really well. Pull the exhaust manifold and inspect iit well too. How about those base gaskets.

+1
    I keep starting the engine and keep running for less than 1 minute every 15-20 minutes to make sure I got all the water out.
    I visually double check everything and found the stringer water hose clamp facing the rear of the ski loose.
    see the pic
    Would this caused the water to go to the cylinders?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1287_exhaust_1.gif 
Views:	64 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	41429  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information