Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stupid newbie question about how pump wedge works!

Hey guys,

This sounds stupid, but I'm still new to PWCs and boating in general. I see a lot of you installing pump wedges, and I understand that they change the angle of the pump. The descriptions I've read say that they "trim up" the pump nozzle. Does this mean the nozzle points further upward than it did before? Is the net effect of this a higher bow when riding? What are the advantages of this and how does it affect handling? How about handling in low speed situations (ex pulling wakeboarder) when you've already got the bow sticking up?

Thanks!

Does this mean the nozzle points further upward than it did before?
    ...yes
    Is the net effect of this a higher bow when riding?
    yes
    What are the advantages of this and how does it affect handling? How about handling in low speed situations (ex pulling wakeboarder) when you've already got the bow sticking up?
    Less hull surface touching the water....less drag...more speed...theoretically. It does change the way the ski responds to conditions ie water surface and steering. It will force you to lean out over the handle bars when pulling a skier outa the water. I use a pylon and have had to do the lean thing when pulling a skier weighing over 200#'s..also...the jet wash will shoot a little farther back so a skier on a close rope will get outa the wake as soon as he's able.

Ah, cool! It sounds like a great idea on a performance ski but no so much on a recreation ski like mine that we still do stuff with. It already lifts the nose nice and high when pulling a skier out of the water.

Yeah...I've gone and blocked up the opas in an effort to get all the benefit from the wedge...I'm used to how it handles...the mrs hates it.

+1

pump wedge

the pump wedge is not the best idea. now you are fighting two different planes-one- the angle of where the hull rides and -two-the new angle of the pump you created

The only advantage from a pump wedge, would be top speed. If that is not what your looking for I would not even consider getting one.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Sailor View Post
    Hey guys,

This sounds stupid, but I'm still new to PWCs and boating in general. I see a lot of you installing pump wedges, and I understand that they change the angle of the pump. The descriptions I've read say that they "trim up" the pump nozzle. Does this mean the nozzle points further upward than it did before? Is the net effect of this a higher bow when riding? What are the advantages of this and how does it affect handling? How about handling in low speed situations (ex pulling wakeboarder) when you've already got the bow sticking up?

Thanks!
    no questions is STUPID...how do we learn?

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    it is my understanding that you have the pump...and you have the nozzle yes they work similar but yet different ..the object of a wedge isnt to get the bow up more.it iso better align the pump to the nozzle in the trim up position,,,, the pump starts to funnel the water to the nozzle,,, by turning the pump up slightly ..with a wedge ..the nozzle isnt doing all the work ...thus a more direct shot out the back of the ski......with the ski trimed up ....if the oblject was to mearly raise the bow more ...you can simply shorten the rod from the vts to the nozzle...but then the water needs to be deflected by the nozzle loosing thrust as it bounces off the nozzle .....from the pump ... by turning the pump up slightly the water doesnt have to be redirected compleatly by the nozzle..less deflection = more thrust =more speed...you should purchase a longer extension rod which compensates for the wedge putting the ski back at stock trim settings but the shot of water from the pump simply is staighter...giving you better speed...just dont forget to install the steering cable extenson...or re align the ski when you install the wedge it places the the hole for the steering cable farther back if you dont adjust the cabel for this the ski will turn to the right when the handlebards are straight ....hop this helps you understand it better

Quote Originally Posted by breon View Post
    it is my understanding that you have the pump...and you have the nozzle yes they work similar but yet different ..the object of a wedge isnt to get the bow up more.it iso better align the pump to the nozzle in the trim up position,,,, the pump starts to funnel the water to the nozzle,,, by turning the pump up slightly ..with a wedge ..the nozzle isnt doing all the work ...thus a more direct shot out the back of the ski......with the ski trimed up ....if the oblject was to mearly raise the bow more ...you can simply shorten the rod from the vts to the nozzle...but then the water needs to be deflected by the nozzle loosing thrust as it bounces off the nozzle .....from the pump ... by turning the pump up slightly the water doesnt have to be redirected compleatly by the nozzle..less deflection = more thrust =more speed...you should purchase a longer extension rod which compensates for the wedge putting the ski back at stock trim settings but the shot of water from the pump simply is staighter...giving you better speed...just dont forget to install the steering cable extenson...or re align the ski when you install the wedge it places the the hole for the steering cable farther back if you dont adjust the cabel for this the ski will turn to the right when the handlebards are straight ....hop this helps you understand it better
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Jammer 1; 10-13-2007 at 12:25 AM.

Pump wedge on the Zapata hull is a bad idea but not on a RXP with RE block off's.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxpdoo View Post
    the pump wedge is not the best idea. now you are fighting two different planes-one- the angle of where the hull rides and -two-the new angle of the pump you created

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information