kawasaki 12-F problems...... please HELP

hey. my kawasaki stx 12-f 2007 model is running in some sort of limp mode and is flashing OILT on the dash. Has anyone come across this before and how do i fix it? i am pretty mechanically minded so if it is just some sort of sensor change i can take it on myself. the oil level is fine and i changed the oil and filter only about 8 hrs ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ne8one View Post
    hey. my kawasaki stx 12-f 2007 model is running in some sort of limp mode and is flashing OILT on the dash. Has anyone come across this before and how do i fix it? i am pretty mechanically minded so if it is just some sort of sensor change i can take it on myself. the oil level is fine and i changed the oil and filter only about 8 hrs ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    OILT would be the oil temperarture. Is your engine cooling correctly (water from the pisser)? Do you notice the engine temps being excessively hot when you pull up the seat after the alarm sounds?

if not, its probably a sensor.

you were spot on dreww. it was a sensor problem. the oil temp sensor had failed. the sensor is located on the front of the engine under the dipstick tube. in the manual it says to remove the engine to change the sensor. but i was able to make up a special spanner to remove the old sensor and fit the new one. ski runs like a dream now.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ne8one View Post
    you were spot on dreww. it was a sensor problem. the oil temp sensor had failed. the sensor is located on the front of the engine under the dipstick tube. in the manual it says to remove the engine to change the sensor. but i was able to make up a special spanner to remove the old sensor and fit the new one. ski runs like a dream now.
    you aren't the first to report sensor problems with these skis. It does seem like (according to kawasaki) that you gotta take out the motor to fix just about anything (sensors, starter, etc.). Im sure the dealer does what you did, and charged $2,000 cause they "had to remove the motor"

Thread Information