Polaris Genesis FI, walk, run, or buy

I am new to the PWC world and in my quest to get something reasonable, I found a 2002 Genesis 1200 fuel injected. After reading through quite a few threads here, it would be apparent the FI version is somewhat problematic. I don't want something I have to tinker with a lot, a little is fine. Is this not the ski for me, or am I reading too much into it and these are not too bad a unit?
    Specs,
    2002 Polaris Genesis 1200
    Fuel Injected
    80 hours
    Great physical condition, doesn't appear to ever be in salt

Thanks a bunch up front, this looks like a great board.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by watermutt View Post
    I am new to the PWC world and in my quest to get something reasonable, I found a 2002 Genesis 1200 fuel injected. After reading through quite a few threads here, it would be apparent the FI version is somewhat problematic. I don't want something I have to tinker with a lot, a little is fine. Is this not the ski for me, or am I reading too much into it and these are not too bad a unit?
    Specs,
    2002 Polaris Genesis 1200
    Fuel Injected
    80 hours
    Great physical condition, doesn't appear to ever be in salt

Thanks a bunch up front, this looks like a great board.
    As others will say, it depends on what you want, and how much self-servicing you like to do.

I am in the market myself for a pair of Polaris injected 2-stroke boats, just one size down from the Genesis i.

Keep in mind that the 4-stroke Polaris fuel injected motors (Weber engines, Bosch injection) are completely different engines, and share no parts with the 2-stroke "Fitch" injected motors.

The Fitch injected Polaris 2-stroke motors did cause some consternation when they first came out, as people were unfamiliar with them. It took a while for the common issue to become understood, and develop effective diagnosis techniques.

Polaris sold injected Genesis from 1999 through 2004, but it took them a few model years to get the wrinkles sorted out.

For me, the advantages of the injected 2-stroke vs. a carbureted model included;
    Substantially better fuel economy, especially when cruising at part throttle.
    Consistent starting, and linear mid-range throttle response

I have multiple riders in the family, so the injected motors are just more consistent, easier to control, and confidence inspiring for the less technical riders.

Reduced emissions, much less exhaust smoke, less unburned fuel in the exhaust
    No worries about carb mis-adjustments (lean burn piston damage), periodic or seasonal carb re-adjustments, or carb rebuilds (winter storage does a carb no favors, even if done properly)

On the other side, the injected motors cannot be modified for more power. They must be run in the factory configuration, which irks folks who like to tweak their boats for more power. The carb'ed engines can be modified in a number of ways, and many are.

Carburetors, despite being more finicky about proper settings, do allow for more tweaking, and are well understood by many of the Green Hulk members.

My plan is to have two injected Polaris boats (MSX140, Virage TXi). Different boat models, but the Fitch motors will be similar enough that if I do need to troubleshoot a problem, I will have a second motor for comparison, and can swap injection parts between them to help figure out where the problem lies.

The most common issue with Fitch engines is the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) would go bad. Eventually Polaris fgiured out how to make a reliable TPS (reliable meaning it would last maybe 100 hours, give or take).

If the TPS fails, replacing it is not terribly difficult, and the symptoms and diagnosis techniques are straightforward.

I would suggest you buy a spare, new TPS, and either store it in a waterproof bag strapped inside the engine area, or install the new TPS now (so you can be sure it is good, before the part warranty expires), and store the old TPS with the boat, wrapped up snugly.

If the TPS never fails, the spare can go with the boat when you sell it. If it does fail while you have the boat, you will be able to fix it right away, and get back on the water.

The other common failure is loose electrical contacts inside the connectors for the injectors. Crimping them tighter solves that problem.

Of course, the actual condition of the particular Genesis i you are looking at is very important. A ski can look good, but still have real issues, that can cost you money, reliability, and grief.

Here is another thread discussing some of the things to think about when buying a used Polaris (or and brand ski);
    92 sl 750

Also, have a look at this thread regarding another Genesis buyer;
    Genesis gives us 4-person capacity without being a Bayliner with handlebars

Let us know what kind of boat you want, and we can help you along.
    Last edited by K447; 10-12-2007 at 10:22 AM.

Polaris Genesis

Thanks.
    I am looking for a good 3 person ski, mostly for the wife. It would be a secondary water craft for us, so I don't need anything for primary purpose. The Genesis I am looking at is in really good shape, and the price seems fair, $3000. I just didn't want to buy a hassle is all.

Another ski I am looking at is a leftover Honda which is a good deal, IMO, but obviously more $$$. While I am sure it will be less maintenance, I can put up with the added tinkering for the extra savings.

+1
    Thanks.
    I am looking for a good 3 person ski, mostly for the wife. It would be a secondary water craft for us, so I don't need anything for primary purpose. The Genesis I am looking at is in really good shape, and the price seems fair, $3000. I just didn't want to buy a hassle is all.

Another ski I am looking at is a leftover Honda which is a good deal, IMO, but obviously more $$$. While I am sure it will be less maintenance, I can put up with the added tinkering for the extra savings.
    That price seems reasonable for a good condition Genesis i, especially if it includes a decent trailer.

If I was shopping for a Genesis i, I would drive there and buy it myself.

Be sure to verify the condition. It can look good, and the seller might have no knowledge of any problems, and there could still be issues. A thorough checking over is always worthwhile.

If your wife will be the primary rider, then reliability is probably a paramount requirement. She may view any on-the-water problems with more concern that you or I.

Also, the Genesis is a fairly large ski. It does handle nicely, but it also has some weight to it (though other big skis can be even heavier). A lighter weight rider may find they (she) cannot fling it around with abandon using body english, and must rely more on riding technique to make it dance.

Good luck with your Genesis i purchase.
    If you have questions, you know where to find the answers.

Watermutt,

Welcome to the Green Hulk Forums!!!

IMO the FI models are no more (and probably less) problematic then their carbed counter parts. The problem is when there is a problem, they are harder to diagnose and (can be) more expensive to repair.

$3000 is an OK deal but if you could get them to come down to around $2500, then you would have a little in the kitty for maintance.

The Genesis is a very stable ski and a nice ride good for cruising and riding multiple riders. They are very hard to tip over.

You can look up PWC prices at NADA.com.

Just my two pennies.

Let us know what you decide.

Thanks.

...Another ski I am looking at is a leftover Honda which is a good deal, IMO, but obviously more $$$. While I am sure it will be less maintenance, I can put up with the added tinkering for the extra savings.
    K447 summed it up as good as it gets!

But I am curious about your above statement...does "leftover" mean a new Honda that the dealer wants to unload before the next riding season kicks in? If so...there is a wealth of value to factor in your decision, since a factory warranty should eliminate any concerns about repairs! Only drawback would be that you will be probably be forced to have ALL of the scheduled maintainence performed by the dealer....

Banned User
    Honda has been making reliable product for years.

I say, you get what you pay for.

Yes, the Honda is a new unit, 2006 with full manuf warranty. They are asking pretty much what used ones of that year are selling for. I looked at it this morning, and it was a great machine, but really do not know what I am looking at.
    We stopped at a different dealer who had a Kawa STX15, 2006 new left over, but they really weren't ready to discount it much, and simply walking out the door with it would cost me $2000 in instant depreciation.
    The dealer with the Polaris must really like it, they kind of blew me off so they must want to keep it.
    Not sure what we are going to do, but the Honda is looking pretty good right now. It won't be winning any races, but not what I am looking to do either.
    Thanks for all the responses and advice.

+1
    ... The dealer with the Polaris must really like it, they kind of blew me off so they must want to keep it.
    Not sure what we are going to do...
    If you decide against the Genesis i, can you let me know who is selling it and where it is?
    I maybe heading towards New Jersey in the next few days...

Thread Information