Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Intercooler question

Question concerning Piranha intercooler & rear exhaust kit. Jerry informed me Piranha was good intercooler, and would save some bucks....SO, whats your experience with it? Dont want to save a few bucks over the Riva IC needlessly.
    Secondly, their kit with the rear exhaust & OPAS b/o kit looks like it would also save some bucks, BUT, the shape and angle of the exhaust pipe is very different than the Riva exhaust. Any experience with this? Any install issues?

Thanks for the advice.

I'm a regular on this forum and i see more posts dealing with problems with Riva Ic's then PIR's Ic's. Actually i dont think i've ever seen a post that knocking the PIR Ic's.

Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP View Post
    I'm a regular on this forum and i see more posts dealing with problems with Riva Ic's then PIR's Ic's. Actually i dont think i've ever seen a post that knocking the PIR Ic's.
    But consider the numbers of each that are in use on this forum.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXPkid View Post
    But consider the numbers of each that are in use on this forum.
    You would be surprized on how many people are useing the Pir. IC.

Quote Originally Posted by Water4fire View Post
    You would be surprized on how many people are useing the Pir. IC.

That's not my point. Sure many people are using the Pirhana IC now, but how many are in use compared to the Riva that have been in use over the past couple years? Im willing to bet that there have been more Riva IC out there than Pirhana. I'm also willing to bet that many switched from Riva to other IC because of problems with their Riva IC and didn't want to lose the performance or put up the $$$ again. With that being said my point is that whatever is out there in higher numbers is going to have more failures. Is the failure rate necessarily higher? No. It's just that there are more out there so you will hear about more failures. Give it time and I'm sure we will hear of some Pirhana IC failures. Take care of it and you shouldn't have a problem. Speaking of that, I have heard of more than a few Riva IC failures because of neglect, i.e. not flushing after every salt water ride, improper storage during winter, etc.

From what I understand the design of the Riva and Pirhana IC are the same, so I see no reason why the Pirhana IC is not susceptible to failure also. With that being said, their performance is very comparable, so my suggestion would be to save some $$$ and go with the Pirhana IC over the Riva.

Replacing the intercooler would be my question? I have heard that Piranha doing this for one of thier first customers since it was first introduced, I know I bought a Piranha Intercooler Kit and it was pleasantly laid out great! Not to knock Riva Intercooler, I think thier piping is the way to go! The bracket that holds the Piranha is very solid and well laid out too!

Good comments....I do not remember anyone having a problem with the XS intercooler either and they are only $120-150, big and work great. Replacing the whole thing is only $120-150....it's a no brainer for me...

If it wasn't for XS the external intercooler would not have been an option or the pirannah front eng mount, shorty water box, ceramic bearings, and the RE block offs would not have been in my plans.

The XS may not be the perfect intercooler but it provides a performance gain and gives me the room to introduce other mods.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
    The XS may not be the perfect intercooler but it provides a performance gain and gives me the room to introduce other mods.
    True story. I gained a solid 3+mph and much better acceleration throughout the RPM range with it.

Banned User
    +1
    I 2nd an XS unit, they are a great bang for the buck. It got me performance I was looking for. Once there, I was able to tweek it....

BUT since there is no official kit for an XS, its tough to compare them to Piranha and Riva DIRECTLY...

XS units are a custom install, and kudos to anyone how takes them on as a challenge.......because most of the time, anyone that can come in UNDER BUDGET, will be most likely satisfied!*

* = for the time being...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information