Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

My ski sank today!

Well, I always thought if my ski was to sink it would be my fault by some careless act or rolling the ski over in some way. I had the starboard side coolant feed blow off today under wide open throttle. The engine went to missing and stuttering, at first I thought great my plugs are fouling, so I pull the seat and notice 2-4 inches of water in the hull and it has that swirling turbulent look like it is filling. Immediately, I think great I blew one of my lines off of the IC I messed with.

My first mistake in hindsite from lack of education on my part is I should of immediately shut the ski off and set up for towing. But in the middle of a river 3/4 to a mile wide and 3 miles from I put in I decided to try and make it back. Also, I was hoping the bilge system would keep up with the filling. Plus, I was not sure whatr was wrong and I had no alarms and I never did getr an alarm. There really isnt a good place to go to shore where I was at. Picture swamp and the river is deep along the banks. About half way back the engine got to the point where it just would not run. This is when I decided it would be better to get towed the remaining mile or so. So what did I learn from this

1. Get a bilge pump( I think this is the most important and would of saved me today.)

2. Pull your seat and look at the throttle body. If your ski sinks everything up to the throttle body will be under water.

3. This ski will not sink(as in completely submerged). There is enough bouyancy to keep it a float and uprite if the water is calm.

4. If you have an aftermarket intake keep the suction as high as possible.

5. Kawi did a good job of sealing I have 0 water in the oil. I am concerned about the long term affects on the SC. It was completely under water.

6. The time from leak discovered to ski sinking is less than 10 minutes.

Good thing is I jut got back from running it after everything was checked and went a new best of 70.4 with no wedge.

Any suggestions on what else I should check let me know.

Oh, I almost forgot after discovering what the cause was I checked my other ultra in the garage and it was probably just a matter of time before this one would of sank. This same hose was getting ready to blow off. My remedy will be fully sliding the hose on the connector and using double hose clamps to hold the hose on.

Jason
    Last edited by spaulding; 10-13-2007 at 06:19 AM.

+1
    JW,
    I hope everything dries out! Damn man, that really sucks. Which line came off?
    Jimmy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    JW,
    I hope everything dries out! Damn man, that really sucks. Which line came off?
    Jimmy

The line from the pump to the engine on the right side of the ski if looking from the back. It will be the line just inboard from the line that feeds the IC.

Like I said in my other post my other ultra was getting ready to blow off the line had moved all the way to the tip of the connection. It was just a matter of time before this one would of blew off.

So from What I gather from your post is no water ingestion? At least inside engine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hilomikey View Post
    So from What I gather from your post is no water ingestion? At least inside engine.
    It appears I had no water ingestion. My intake drain tube was completely dry. I had no water in the bypass or intake. The water was at the same level of the throttle body leaning towards the rear with about 6 inches of level in the front storage.

I hope people read this post and get a bilge pump. Most people including me are in to performance and willing to shove out money for handling and speed, but will not take the time to buy and install something that will keep your ski from taking in lots of water and lower the risk of major equipment damage.

Another thing to take from this post and I honestly did not know till today. This ski will not completely sink if it is upright nor will the engine completely submerge.

Jason

JWilson, glad to hear all is well. I agree about the bilge. Its very disturbing to lift that seat and see water coming in. It happened to me when I failed to properly secure my Groco. Seeing 500gph blowing out the side put my mind reasonably at ease and gave me time to get to shore. Make sure you check out EShkrs thread where he discusses his auto bilge & LED. If I had to do it again, I just might go with an 1150pgh since the added weight & cost are minimal. I'm checkin my hoses again tonight!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bilge Install 006.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	41584  

Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1
    Anybody know a place in South Florida that installs the Bilge setup for a decent price? I don't feel like trying this one myself........
    or we could have a group gathering and all work together and team up on the purchase and install

+1
    Wow that sucks to be sinking and not be able to get to shore quickly, looking at the title of the thread and your comments is a little confusing though... did it sink or didn't it?...

+1

group bildge install

Kawi guy that's a good idea. The guys coming over to Ft. Myers
    are a pretty competent bunch of mechanics. I hadn't worried about
    a bildge pump until now but after reading this post I think I'm ready
    for some H2O insurance.
    If you hook up with us Sunday we can all plan a day to do it. Costs
    are minimal for the pump and switch. I've put 'em in before in boats,
    not a big deal, however I'd like to do an elegant install like some of
    the guys here have done. I want to see an LED light up when the
    pump is running, I always had that with any boat I've owned. I also
    would like the discharge to be where I could see it if possible.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Wow that sucks to be sinking and not be able to get to shore quickly, looking at the title of the thread and your comments is a little confusing though... did it sink or didn't it?...
    It took on as much water as the design of the hull allows. IMO

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information