Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lost My Skegs

+1

Lost My Skegs

I had my skegs for a while..Atleast a few months. I used to check every ride to see if they were there because I wasn't confident that they would stick. They always did stick though so I stopped checking. I looked today and they were gone..Wiped clean off the rideplate. I used the recommended epoxy too. It probably had something to do with my 4 degrees of wedge. I guess it's just another excuse to get the rideplate mod done

what ride plate mod?

Can't imagine the alignment needed for that could help myself

+1
    i've lost mine, one went a bit ago and i had to steer slightly to the left in straight lines to compensate, then the other fell off, i don't really miss them i even belive i'm faster on glass, regards bill

Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    I had my skegs for a while..Atleast a few months. I used to check every ride to see if they were there because I wasn't confident that they would stick. They always did stick though so I stopped checking. I looked today and they were gone..Wiped clean off the rideplate. I used the recommended epoxy too. It probably had something to do with my 4 degrees of wedge. I guess it's just another excuse to get the rideplate mod done
    Wow James, I hadn't heard of anyone loosing them...
    How's the 4 degrees working out?? Seems like a high ride...

+1
    lost my first set too, found that the second time i put them on i used a floor jack to just barely lift the ski on the bottom of the skegs when i put the epoxy on and let it sit like that for about a week, the whole weight of the ski on the skegs, they held all year evev on a dry dock that they rubbed on everytime i pulled up, they actually tore the hell out of the dry dock, haha

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seadoo02xp View Post
    lost my first set too, found that the second time i put them on i used a floor jack to just barely lift the ski on the bottom of the skegs when i put the epoxy on and let it sit like that for about a week, the whole weight of the ski on the skegs, they held all year evev on a dry dock that they rubbed on everytime i pulled up, they actually tore the hell out of the dry dock, haha
    mcrowley did the floor jack trick I believe and didn't have good luck. the one skeg ended up out of place and he had to do it over.. i think i need to glue it better next time. any trick to having the skegs not slide out of place while pressing into them?

Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    Wow James, I hadn't heard of anyone loosing them...
    How's the 4 degrees working out?? Seems like a high ride...
    It's fun. I still have to adjust the steering a whole bunch and the reverse linkage as well so I can put my bucket back on. Video is coming soon

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    My rideplate was apparently much flatter than the one used to meodel the rideplate skegs. Mine initially popped loose on the front (but didn't fall off)...

To get them to stay I ended up having to machine the skegs down (flatten) to match the curve of my rideplate and they have since held...

mcrowley did the floor jack trick I believe and didn't have good luck. the one skeg ended up out of place and he had to do it over.. i think i need to glue it better next time. any trick to having the skegs not slide out of place while pressing into them?
    Mine slide a little too but I backed it off re aligned and very slowly, maybe 1/4 turn at a time, raised the jack to hold, checking after every 1/4 turn. Due to the little bend in the skegs and the ride plate they dried with some small spaces in several places at the contact points. I then took my finger with the marine epoxy and wiped epoxy into those spaces...no problems yet...only been 6 months though (75 hours).

+1
    any trick to having the skegs not slide out of place while pressing into them?

I did 1 skeg at a time,But there are some members on here that have taken a piece of wood and cut grooves 5 1/2 inches apart and lifted the skegs with the wood..

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    if you like the skegs that much and want to always have them on your ski and never think twice about them being under there.... take the rideplate off and drill and tap the skeg from between the rideplate halves

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information