Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help.........

Alright guys, I am new to jet ski’s but have had years of experience with quads and dirt bikes. I have a 97 sea-doo xp I picked up this summer. It has trouble starting, it take about 15 seconds to hold the start button and full throttle to start, and when I shut it down, I have to cut the gas right away or it will flood. But that is not the problem. When I was out the other day I was driving around with full power for about 1 hour. Then I shut it down and hung out for a little while with the gas turned off. Then when I went to start it, it took about 5 minutes off and on for it to start. When it started and I had it at FULL THROTTLE, it would barley idle, and when I went to let off the throttle it slowly died, and I gave it full throttle again. After a few minutes at full throttle it started to hobble along to full throttle, and I could let go and get back on the throttle like normal. Then a kid tried getting on the back, and after it almost flipped a few times, we stopped trying. I tried starting it up, and it wouldn’t start. I got to the shore and pulled the plugs, to show the gap of the spark plug was full of a milky residue. I cleaned the plugs, blew out the cylinders, and went to start it, but after many tries, I couldn’t get it to fire.
    So I brought it home (did not tow it in the water, pushed it back by hand) and hooked it up to the hose just in case. I tried to start it and I couldn’t get anything. When I shot a little starting fluid into it, it almost started. And that is the last step I did. Does Anybody no what could be wrong. I have spark and plenty of fuel. Any help would be appreciated.

Banned User
    Sounds like have a water leak either in the head gasket ( they are orings ) or a Base gasket I would pull the head and take a look at the orings. ALso it sounds like you need a carb rebuild especially the needle and seats and check the fuel tank vent.

Quote Originally Posted by JOJO567 View Post
    Sounds like have a water leak either in the head gasket ( they are orings ) or a Base gasket I would pull the head and take a look at the orings. ALso it sounds like you need a carb rebuild especially the needle and seats and check the fuel tank vent.
    thank you so much

hey, just wondering what the correct psi is for this machine i am going to run a test tommororw

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    You hydrolocked the engine trying to get the kid on the back of the ski. It needs to be started and run TODAY to get the water out of the cases...because the crank bearings are rusting as you read this.

Run it until the sides of the cylinders get too hot to touch with your hands...then shut off. Immediately pull the plugs to let the steam escape. Do this 3-4 times, always spraying a little fogging oil into the carbs while running...to keep the crank and rod bearing lubed.

After you are satisfied you got the water out...pull your carbs and rebuild them. The needle and seats need replacing too...this is why the ski floods when off. The engine should start immediately whenever warm, the excessive fuel is washing away what oil you have in the engine and starving your bearings for lubrication.

what is fogging oil?

well i pulled it off this morning, and the o-ring is ripped in the cylinder that was giving me problems. While pulling the head bolts off, 2 snapped so now i have to pull the jugs and get those out, i also have to retap all the bolt holes due to corrosion. i will let you guys no what is going on.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by italanboy View Post
    well i pulled it off this morning, and the o-ring is ripped in the cylinder that was giving me problems. While pulling the head bolts off, 2 snapped so now i have to pull the jugs and get those out, i also have to retap all the bolt holes due to corrosion. i will let you guys no what is going on.
    Pull the carbs and intake off. Stuff one paper towel between the crank counterblancers and twist it to the bottom of the case. Pause, allowing it to absorb the water puddled in there. Then swing back up to the intake and remove. Repeat until you get all the water out. Run a blow dryer in the intakes to dry any residual water still sitting in the bearings. Then go buy some fogging oil at Tractor Supply or any parts store and saturate the bearings, turning slowly while spraying. Make sure you get the rod big-end bearings too.

Hopefully you didn't ruin the bearings until you get it back running again.

Good luck...

hey guys, well because i am in college i can only get a few hours of wrenching in on the weekend, today i pulled the exhaust, intake, and about to pull the cars, but my question is what do i do about the cold. It is going to be around 28 tongiht and the jet ski is not winterized. It is stored in an unheated garage. What should i do, can i run antifreeze through it while it is in pieces.

can anyone help me please

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information