Thread: oil consumption

oil consumption

02 GTX NA 4 tec
    Went 65 mi today avg about 40 mph. Had to add about 10 oz of oil to top it off when I checked it tonight with the ski level and the engine warm. Is this normal oil consumption for a 4 tec with 85 hours on it? I'm not used to having to add so much oil to a 4 stroke engine so I thought I would ask. Other than the oil consumption the engine seems to be running fine (starts right up, idles smooth around 1900rpm, about 7300rpm full throttle). There is no oil in the hull and I don't see any obvious oil leaks, so it must be burning it. Should I be worried? Thanks, Lee

02 GTX NA 4 tec...(starts right up, idles smooth around 1900rpm, about 7300rpm full throttle).
    I was gonna ask what you topped it off..to.

Gonna have to wait for experts though.

+1
    you may want to do a compression test, i had this problem with my rxp this summer, the ski ran great just burned alot of oil, mine was rings, i had about the same hours as you do but in my case i had lost my ceramics the year before and the shop that rebuilt it screwed it up, but i would stiull check compression

+1
    lee before u do compression u could also light the ski out of the water and see if she BLOWS SMOKE!!!!!!!!!!!! my buddy DOOBIES does and uses oil as well! i beleive its RINGS also! good luck!

I pulled the plugs and all of them look like they are brand new with nice white insulators and no deposits. I bought the boat used with about 78 hours and now it has 85 hours so I know the plugs have at least a few hours on them. I have an Actron compression gauge but it didn't come with a 12mm adapter so I'll try to find one today.
    The end of the dipstick is an orange plastic piece with about a 2" range between the add and full marks. I've been topping it off to just below the full mark like you would on a car. I think I read somewhere that it should be maintained right in the middle between the add and full marks? Of course the manual is too vague to be of any help. Question: When you add oil do you add until the level is just below the full mark or stop when it's in the middle between add and full?

+1
    YES in the middle will get best RPM according to everyone on hear & thats what i ran when i was Stock but now with a STAGE 3+ i keep it at the TOP BEND myself!

Bought a new Actron CP7828 gauge with all the different adapters. With the engine cold I cranked it over until the gauge maxed out after a couple seconds. Here's what it showed:
    cyl1-220 psi
    cyl2-210
    cyl3-210

Is this normal for a NA (NOT supercharged) 4 tec ?
    Would topping the oil to just below the full mark cause it to burn more oil than keeping it in the middle of the range?

Talked to Brian at SBT and he said I should maintain the oil in the middle of the range NOT at the full mark. He also said maintaining at the full mark will cause it to use more oil. Re. compression he said the NA 4 tecs should run about 190-200 psi and the SC 4 tecs 140-145. I guess my brand new gauge might be reading a little on the high side? The engine was cold when I did the compression test and I'm thinking that may cause the reading to be high as the oil would be thicker causing better sealing? Doesn't a cold engine give a higher compression reading than a warm engine? What do you think?
    Last edited by lee; 10-15-2007 at 08:56 AM.

Thread Information