Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

voiding the big "w"

Hello,
    I wanted to ask are most of the users willing to void the warranty for some speed..? I assume that most of the users on the board here have 250'x either the W is expired or you have extended it.. I bought mine for a song and with the extra money i saved i thought it might be a good idea to buy an extended one. but with all the cool performance goodies that are avaliable i'm sure with one turn of a screw it would all be for nothing the number "70" does not mean much to me but a better handling does. how far is too far? how much is too much? is it a good idea? How many of you actually bought an extended warrantee?
    thanks for listening

+1
    Any mod I have done can be reversed if I have to take it in for a warranty repair. I saved any stock part that I had to remove. I purchased the hood pieces that were cut when I did some ram air mods so I can replace them if necessary. I figure I can have mine back to stock in about 3-4 hrs or so. There are not many aftermarket parts out there that require you to cut or destroy a stock part during installation. The only one I can think of would be the Riva exhaust kit. It requires you to cut the exhaust pipe that exits the rear of the hull.
    Jimmy

+1
    Hello and thanks for the reply,
    Funny, I was just reading the article in one of my watercraft zines about the exhaust mod.
    I'm glad that you can change the machine back for any extra work you might need to have done.. but to be honest i'm not much of a gearhead I have seen some of the work done here on the site at people houses i dont have a machine shop and i dont think i could spend 4 hours going back n fourth just so i could take my machine back to the dealer fixing some that in all likely hoood i probally broke anyhow..
    The places around where i live are quite shady one dealer here(who's buying up the island) I dont rust the techs as far as can thrown them, but i have to trust someone.. who knows.. i might like i said earlier fall prey to the Riva catalog or the dennis kirk take a drive to Fla and have some work done.
    thanks.

Gig, you pose some interesting questions. I thought buying the extended warranty was a no brainer. I assumed that unless you tinker with the engine internals, or burn nitromethane or something, anything that goes wrong is covered. After reading what some have gone through (even with a grain of salt), and talking to some candid after market parts techs, and reading all the fine print, I now see my naivetee. I'm just not so sure anymore that the warranty is worth it if Kawi voids coverage over mods that are not even directly related to the mechanical failure at issue. It would be cruelly ironic if someone installed the crankcase ventilator kit to fix the gas in oil problem only to suffer a voiding of coverage on an unrelated problem. I think its reasonable to infer that a mechanical failure must be causally related to the mod at issue but now I'm not so sure thats how Kawi interprets or enforces the contract.

I myself would be very happy to stick to 65 to 68 in exchange for total reliability and no hassle warranty coverage. Part of this though is because, as a practical matter, my ride conditions do not really allow going much faster that often and I have to try and minimize risks of getting stranded in the middle of nowhere. Now, if the warranty is no good anyway or this is a 2nd ski and I'm close to civilization, I say bring on the 75+!

Also, it seems you probably have to do at least some fresh air mods in order to get to or break 70. The price is an increased risk of water ingestion. Thats a tough risk for me to take on given my choice of riding even if its for several mph.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    READ YOUR WARRANTY and decide how it will be interpreted. I read mine, and in short, i believe: "so long as i don't disrupt the reliability or durability" - i'm cool.

I suspect things like increasing boost, blocking off BOV's might just void engine related claims, however, i would imagine that if you brought it in for bleeding paint, the smaller SC pulley would not be a factor.

I'd like to hear how others have interpreted and experienced certain warranty issues.

Maybe i'm wrong. Just was is going on in my head.

Oh, and i didn't say that i wasn't interested in the SC pully kit either!

If you take it in for warranty work,you better put it back just like it was from the factory!Down here they look for any damn thing that has been done to void the warranty!They look at these forums too!

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    If you get water in your intake because you installed the riva wet vac intake and put the stock one back on to get warranty repair to de-water, that would be insurance fraud. Not saying anything more than what it really is and i'm aware that it happens all the time...just don't get caught.

Dealers mod skis all the time.
    Last edited by earthshaker; 10-15-2007 at 09:38 PM.

Doggone EShakr does not mince words. Just like Gig said originally, I would need help from others to do some of these mods so I would need help to undo them as well. Also, I just cant effectively and vigorously press for a straight answer or the action I want from someone unless I feel secure with my own answers and on my own secure footing.

I dont know that a product warranty is the same as a policy of insurance as far as the significance of a policyholder's material misrepresentation of fact. In WA, an insurance co can get hammered for wrongfully refusing to pay a claim. The other side of the coin though is that the ins co can void coverage for a policyholder's single misrepresentation of fact. One example is a guy who had over $200,000 in fire losses but lost all coverage because a jury determined he had lied about losing one low value piece of personal property.

I agree completely with EShkrs interpretation that the mod should effect durability or reliability (and should be causally related to the failure at issue) in order to void coverage. I'm just more concerned now whether thats how it works in real life and whether the warranty is worth that much given the available mods. The issue has become more pressing as of late and Gig's post gave further spark.

+1
    test..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information